Thread: Jet 8" Jointer JJ-8CS - If you have one, what do you think about it?

Jet 8" Jointer JJ-8CS - If you have one, what do you think about it?

I have been scouring the internet looking for reviews on the Jet JJ-8CS. I have found a few reviews here and there but not enough reviews to give me a good idea of what Jet owners think about the JJ-8CS. I have checked the local Jet dealers and none of them carry the 8" as a display unit. I have also heard rumors that the Jet is basically the same thing as one of the Grizzly jointers. I have nothing against Grizzly but if one of their Jointers is the same as the Jet, it does not make a lot of sense to pay the extra for the Jet. There is one key difference though between Jet and Grizzly and that is the 5 year warranty.

Thanks

At one time Jet and Grizzly jointers rolled out of the same factory in Taiwan, along with GI, Sunhill, Bridgewood, Woodtek, Craftex, and others ...IIRC, Mao Shan was the factory. The basic machine is the same, bolt-ons tend to be different, as is the warranty and dealer markup. I don't know if the new ones are made in the same place anymore.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at Baleigh as well. Their IJ-875 looks very similar to the Jet and it has very similar specs. Bad news for Baleigh is Jet has a 5 year warranty and Baliegh only has a 1 year.

Many of the Asian models come from the same factory. I sold a Jet JJS8 last year that I recently rebuilt with a Byrd Shelix head in favor of getting a 14" European jointer. The Jet worked smooth as silk, especially with the Shelix head attached. Parts are plentiful, but if doing it again and willing to accept the Asian model, I would purchase one of the Jet clones produced in the same factory. Here is one that's very inexpensive:

http://stores.lomatools.com/-strse-1...aw,/Detail.bok

Looks exactly like the Jet except for the paint.
    Last edited by Rich Riddle; 05-08-2013 at 9:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Many of the Asian models come from the same factory. I sold a Jet JJS8 last year that I recently rebuilt with a Byrd Shelix head in fovor of getting a 14" European jointer. The Jet worked smooth as silk, especially with the Shelix head attached. Parts are pleniful, but if doing it again and willing to accept the Asian model, I would purchase one of the Jet clones produced in the same factory. Here is one that's very inexpensive:

http://stores.lomatools.com/-strse-1...aw,/Detail.bok

Looks exactly like the Jet except for the paint.
    Holy cow! If that is the same unit as the Jet, it is not even half the price. I took a look at their website and they do not show where they are located or a telephone number. I wish I knew more about the company. I will peruse the forums to see what I can learn.

It's the same thing as the Jet. Apparently the owner of Sun Hill passed away and Loma purchased his excess inventory for the former owner's son. They discuss it briefly on Lumberjocks. One man purchased a unit and had it delivered for $670. The are all Geetech jointers. If you're worried about the site use a credit card that guarantees your purchase. It's then no risk to you, just them. I have used American Express in the past when things looked suspicious. Every time the seller sent the products, but American Express had guaranteed it.

Believe me, it is not the same as the Jet. Check the specs for example. You get what you pay for!!!