Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Adobe

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Stone View Post
    I didn't see unfinished works there (but I didn't spend hours either.. they might be there)
    But nowhere did I see works that needed a collaborator, or even asked for one.

I'm all outta biscuits. But I may need a snack..
    I used it on Friday for collaboration. The customer I sent it to asked for a mock up. I created the mock up, sent them the link, they left comments on it, they cannot download it, they can only view it. I made the changes, sent it back again, their comments approved it and the job is done. I really like that part of it. It also keeps me from sending out jpeg's or PDF's that customers can shop around. Sure, they can always work around it if they want, but it makes it a little less easy.

Of all the features of it, that part is the part I look forward to using the most. It's very basic right now, so hopefully they will be expanding that side of it.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I used it on Friday for collaboration. The customer I sent it to asked for a mock up. I created the mock up, sent them the link, they left comments on it, they cannot download it, they can only view it.
    Then I stand corrected. You're the first I've heard using it like that, but then it isn't really anything
    I haven't been doing via email for 20 years. (I send them a web resolution version for proofing
    unless I already have the money up front)

You still need to send them an email to let them know where to view it, right?
    I'm really not seeing the great advantage.. although by now I'm perfectly willing
    to admit that I'm just being contrary because it's fun.

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    Just another Creative Cloud user from the beginning...and VERY SATISIFED.
    As a woodworker hobbyist, Photographer, and videographer, the programs offered have been at far lower cost than upgrading each individually each year.
    The price, IMHO, is an extreme value in the case like mine, where I was always upgrading at full price every time a new version was available. Additionally, I now have access to a number of programs that I otherwise would never have considered, but now use quite frequently.

+1 for Adobe Creative Cloud!!
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

Chuck,

one of the differences are that you actually saved them as a psd and if there is a need to make a change you just do it and saved it and the changes will reflect on the other side without re-saving to a jpg, another cool thing about saving to the cloud is that you can just go to a different computer in a different part of the world and keep working on the same file, also there are Photoshop apps for tablets and phones where you can create or do basic edits to psd files kind of cool too.

EDIT to add, another benefit that I forgot to mention is that the other party will be able to turn off and on layers, this way you can save different versions of elements for the client to review etc. you cannot do this with a jpeg.

Ruben
    Last edited by Ruben Salcedo; 06-03-2013 at 7:04 PM. Reason: adding info

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Stone View Post
    I'm really not seeing the great advantage.. although by now I'm perfectly willing
    to admit that I'm just being contrary because it's fun.
    Chuck, I'm with you, believe me. I'm on record in a number of places saying I'd never ever go to the cloud for this. I only signed up because I had a "limited time offer" and it was about to expire and I felt like I wanted to see it and understand it for myself (so I could hate it, officially, instead of just on concept ). What I didn't expect was how much I love it.

Muse is a fantastic tool for creating website. It's so much easier than dreamweaver (even though you get dreamweaver too).

I guess it all depends on your use. My plans- create web site using muse, integrate it with shopping cart using Business Catalyst, create videos for online content for our business, using After Effects and Premier Pro, and then use Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator to run our graphic files. For $50 a month, that's a bargain. But then again, I'm using it to run our business. I have a long way to go to get all that stuff working, but that's my plan and that's why I see the value in it. I have a customer that just signed up for some online shopping cart that is super easy and they pay more than $50 a month for that service. For what they pay for that one product, I get everything. To me, as a business person, there is value in that.

If I had no plans to grow my business or push our image, then I probably wouldn't share the excitement. I think it's got some awesome tools in the package. Granted, I'll be 140 years old before I figure it all out, but that's a different story
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Granted, I'll be 140 years old before I figure it all out, but that's a different story
    I am 140 years old and I still haven't figured out Corel.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Trinkle View Post
    Just another Creative Cloud user from the beginning...and VERY SATISIFED.
    As a woodworker hobbyist, Photographer, and videographer, the programs offered have been at far lower cost than upgrading each individually each year.
    The price, IMHO, is an extreme value in the case like mine, where I was always upgrading at full price every time a new version was available. Additionally, I now have access to a number of programs that I otherwise would never have considered, but now use quite frequently.

+1 for Adobe Creative Cloud!!

Im there with you.... love it...

for all you detractors out there, Adobe released Cs3 for free a month or so ago. No license and no time limit. Grab yourself a copy and be forever stuck in 2008..... for FREE!
    24" x 36" 100 watt laser w/ pass thru and custom 36" rotary • 60 x 120 CNC w/ 8 tool changer • 62" film laminator • 54" 6 color mild solvent printer / cutter

Newest addition to the family.... 60" x 120" flatbed UV printer. 4" max part height.

Synergy Sign & Graphics LLC
    147 Stoutt Drive NE
    Strasburg, OH 44680

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Adobe released Cs3 for free a month or so ago. No license and no time limit. Grab yourself a copy and be forever stuck in 2008..... for FREE!
    It was CS2, and it wasn't free, it was intended only for people w/ CS2 licenses:

Top search result for ``Adobe CS2 License'':

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7...te-2-for-free/

UPDATE, 2:40 p.m. PT: There has been clarification since this story broke. Adobe has not released the CS2 software for free. Instead, it has canceled its CS2 license management servers, so for those with existing licenses it is now offering downloads that do not require contact with the licensing servers. This service is only going to be available for those with existing Adobe CS2 licenses, which will be verified when creating the Adobe account to download the software.
    Official statement here:

https://blogs.adobe.com/conversation...n-servers.html

...to ensure that any customers activating those old versions can continue to use their software, we issued a serial number directly to those customers.
    Unambiguous statement by an Adobe official (post #37):

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4979305

There is no change. The software and serial numbers were posted for use solely by existing legal Adobe licensees of CS2 and other products of that era (i.e., purchased licenses for these products from Adobe, authorized resellers, or via registered with Adobe transfer from such licencees) who need to reactivate their software (such as having to reinstall due to system failures, etc.) and for no other purpose whatsoever, despite the apparent wishful thinking of many.

Whether or no Creative Cloud has nifty features isn't the issue --- the issue is whether or no one is willing to make one's livelihood dependent on whether or no a monthly credit charge went through successfully (there have been a number of instances of such being rejected for suspected fraud) and whether or no the software can phone home successfully each month.

Further, what if Adobe decides to abandon development of one tool in favour of another? They haven't guaranteed every tool will always be available. Do a search on software Adobe has orphaned or abandoned.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    ... Adobe released Cs3 for free a month or so ago. No license and no time limit. Grab yourself a copy and be forever stuck in 2008..... for FREE!
    I'll take that deal! I've been using a 2000 version CS for 13 years. It does everything I need it to do, but a free version of CS3 makes it worth upgrading. "If it ain't broken...."
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Quote Originally Posted by William Adams View Post
    the issue is whether or no one is willing to make one's livelihood dependent on whether or no a monthly credit charge went through successfully (there have been a number of instances of such being rejected for suspected fraud) and whether or no the software can phone home successfully each month.
    How's that unlike your internet service, your cell phone service, your electricity service, your water service, etc? Don't pay your company cell phone bill and see where that goes. I see so many people complain about the cloud, and then they send emails using gmail (cloud based email), google's phone service (cloud based phone service), etc. They pay their bills online with online banking and think it's one of the greatest things ever (cloud based). We use it in every aspect of our lives and most people love it. I clicked on an email address from a repeat customer yesterday. Right clicked and said "Add to contacts". Within seconds, my desktop, laptop, and phone all has his contact info on it. To me, that's the power of the cloud.

I pay more for my cell phone than I do for my Creative Cloud package. While I like my phone (some days), it's not as important to my business as all that software is.

Scott, a question about how you are uploading and clients can have access to your work. How is that different from an FTP site that technology developed decades ago?
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

You can't comment on things ftp'd. The file is sent. This allows me to take a photoshop or illustrator (or anything else) file and send a link to the customer. I can restrict access, I can prevent downloads, etc. They can have as many people as you want involved to comment on it. It's like a mini-forum for that file. It allows many people to have input on one thing, or a group of things, and it's all shared.

It's not at all like ftp. I don't think it's anything revolutionary to Adobe. That collaboration method has been done by a number of other people. I think Corel has something built into it as well, but I've not used it.

Real life example. We have a customer that used to be our largest customer. We took the blame for several of their people not doing their jobs (bosses demanding to know when products would arrive, and they were told it didn't arrive because our company didn't do the job on time, when in reality, they only asked for quotes and never placed the orders). After that exchange, they began asking us for mock ups. We had provided them for years because they were a solid customer. Then we noticed things we mocked up were getting done by other companies. So they just asked for a mock up for a new job. I knew they were asking for it because the job was out of town and no one in their office knew the specs to give to other sign companies. I did the mock up (pulled from previous file already done, so no time creating new things), put it out there, sent it to them, put the "don't allow download" on it, and asked for the approval. This was a shot across the bow to them that they weren't going to steal our artwork and shop it around any longer. I know they don't have anyone there smart enough to screen capture, so in this case, I knew I was good.

Got the P/O by the end of the day. So it was most helpful to me. Could I have done that 10 other ways? Sure, but this was already there, and easy to use, so I used it.

We worked with FTP in the trade show industry for years. The company I worked for was a leader in the industry. FTP and
    email follow ups were how it worked. We to limited access through passwords and time windows. We basically were on conference calls
    as they viewed the site so we talked through the process. Everything was documented and approved through production sign offs.
    Believe me things were thorough, as most projects were $200,000 upwards.

No, we couldn't comment on the site per say , but we worked through conference calling. That was 20 years ago, I haven't had cloud service to experience it.
    Do othere providers of "cloud" based storage have similar features?

Things were different with larger agencies as they had the support and legal staff to deal with usage issues. "Snip it" make quick copy easy that most can do it simply.

Smaller "Mom & Pop" shops have a bit more trouble as for limiting costs for items, now it will be a working expense, that will have to be passed on. It will be interesting
    though now that Corel is moving towards subscription. For those that use PS and CDR individual costs can be abou $450.00 for one set of each. Now that lasers are more
    adaptable
    to using IA would it not make sense to join Adobe and drop CDR? Much more value for the $$$. The issues I face as I have 4 workstations, so that could cost $240 a year each for
    PS and $200 a year ea for CDR. Most all work involves email at some point. "Cloud" things are difficult for approval ina Gov environment..
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    How's that unlike your internet service, your cell phone service, your electricity service, your water service, etc? Don't pay your company cell phone bill and see where that goes.
    If I miss a payment on my landline phone, electric or water, they resubmit the bill, if that doesn't work, they send a shut-off notice, then, after that time has elapsed, they turn it off --- Adobe disables your account immediately, and your software disables the next time it phones home.

No second chance, no warning, no grace period.

If the phones are off at work, change orders stop coming in and work gets done w/o interference until they're back on.

If the software won't run, work comes to a halt and we start sending hourly employees home.
    Last edited by William Adams; 06-04-2013 at 6:09 PM.