Thread: Is it possible to Draw Bore Dominos?

Is it possible to Draw Bore Dominos?

If I stick a couple of 14mm Dominos on a joint, could I draw bore both sides of the joint? Or will the domino not hold the pressure of a draw bore?

It would probably hold the tension, but why would you want to cut a tenon and then drawbore it with a domino? Or are you trying to drawbore the domino itself?

I mean the domino itself. I am working on a table with some large legs that I will be using dominos for, no tenons. So I was planning on draw boring both ends of the domino. Just wondering if anyone has done this, or even if it would hold?

I would glue the Domino into one side of the joint before assembly. After this dried, I would drawbore the other end like a normal tenon. The goal is to pull a nice tight joint and its not necessary to draw both ends.

I have pegged loose tenons before post glue up to give a joint some mechanical connection should the glue ever fail, I put a peg on each side of the joint. If agree with Johnny's suggestion to glue one side first, draw bore the other. I think the dominos can take it, not sure how close you want to get to the end grain of the boards you are connecting though, to close to a edge may give less strength or possible failure.

It is a large joint, so probably going to use the big 14mm, and 5" long dominos. I was thinking that if I glue one end, and draw bore the other end, that it might put undue stress on the glued end. But if I glue and draw bore pin both, then I would have glue and mechanical fastening both ends, making everything tighter and stronger.

I did not think about how close to the end grain I would get though. . .assuming I use a 5.5" domino equally spaced, that gives me 2.75" of tenon at each end. So how far out should I pin it? Half way, or further in? Probably going to be using 3/8" dowel stock.

A finish nail would probably work better than anything else. I sometimes put a finish nail through the pin into the tail-board when doing dovetails for the same reason. You have mechanical hold and don't have to be concerned with moisture changes crushing the dowel over time.
    -Brian

Unless you can't clamp the joint during assembly or your easons for the draw bore are aesthetic I can't see a need. If the previous scenarios apply to you, draw away!

Miller dowels?

Rick Potter

The advantage of drawboring (over pegging an already glued tenon) is that it snugs up the joint incredibly tight, so there would be no advantage to drawboring both ends of a domino in a loose tenon joint. A standard peg is useful as a mechanical backup to prevent the joint from separating so I would, at most, peg one side after gluing it and then drawbore the other. Make sure you're not too aggressive with the drawbore offset or you'll just blow out the end grain on the domino and defeat the purpose. 1/32" seems to usually do the trick, definitely not more than 1/16" and I would be careful with that. I would not personally use a nail as it will not have anywhere near the benefit of a properly done, glued in drawbore peg, or even a standard peg for that matter. Nails also complicate repair work if it is necessary in the future.

Andy,

I think that is what I will shoot for. . .peg one side, and draw bore the other. Just wanted to make sure that the domino itself could hold it, and from the responses here, I am assuming it will. This way I get a properly glued loose tenon joint and some mechanical backup as well.

Dan