Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fasteners

I don't suppose I am the only one who has a lot of 1-1/4" coarse drywall screws I use for just about anything. Then when I want to use them outdoors I get the gray prime coated ones. On craigslist I stumbled upon a $10 box of phillips self tapping fine thread drywall type screws and it was a box of 10,000. Needless to say I use those anywhere possible until I run out. I never really spent a lot on screws unless it was a specialty screw or stainless steel requirement. For that I go to McMastercarr "will call" which is a block away from my work.

I actually bought a lot of highpoints from Amazon with a gift card, but i was amazed how fast I was losing the square drive bits and having to keep swapping between phillips and square so I never re-stocked.

I use various GRK for carpentry. They have a 6-sided star drive, don't strip out, and if you get the coated models, they work great for decks. Also, some are rated for lag bolt replacement - work great with an impact driver in pine or hemlock.

They're not cheap, but get what you pay for...

I've heard some really positive things about GRK, but haven't had occasion to try them.