Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any owner of Laguna Revo 24-36 Lathe? Reviews/comments?

Any owner of Laguna Revo 24-36 Lathe? Reviews/comments?

Hi

I'm looking to upgrade my lathe to a better one. The options I'm looking at are Nova 2024DVR, PM 3520B, and possibly General 26020 (with electronic variable speed).
    There is also these (new?) Revo 24-36 lathe by Laguna but I can't find any review for it. Is anybody here an owner of this lathe? Any comments (good or bad) about it?
    How does it compare against similar priced ranged lathes?

I'm in Canada and my options are somewhat more limited. Only Nova is locally available in a retail store and the rest have to be ordered in (PM via a dealer in a different city!).

TIA

Mreza - I can't answer your question directly, but I'll chime in just the same. I have read many, many folks complain of Laguna's CS. I don't know if their CS issues have been resolved, but I would do some serious due diligence in this regard before pulling the trigger on the Laguna. I thought that General had shut down its operation. Perhaps dealers still have some inventory to sell though. Of those you mention, I'd gravitate towards the 3520B based on the plethora of happy owners. I don't think I have ever heard of a 3520B owner who regretted the purchase.

Just my $.02.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Thanks Glen. Yes I have heard/read about CS of Laguna (that was a concern when I was shopping for a big bandsaw). I bought a different BS but have dealt with them for blades etc.
    The General I'm considering is not new but in very good shape. It's just hard for me to drop $3k for a used machine regardless of how much it costs new. So it's not high on my list (unless the seller drops his another $1k). I can get a Nova 2024DVR for $2500 locally and PM 3520B (which I know gets glowing reviews) for $4k. I'm a bit torn if it is that much better than a Nova.

Tough choices....

I have a friend that has the 26020 and thinks well of it, although I'm not certain how much turning he is still doing anymore. I have not heard anything about General going under, their website is up and I found a number of places listing their products. I'm not certain I would spring for $3k for a used 26020

I own the Nova-DVR-XP, which is very similar to the 2024DVR. One thing I really like, as at power-up, it always comes up at 500 rpm, no matter what you were doing with it before. The $2500 is a great price, the Vancouver dealer wants $2800 and I usually figure he has good prices

The 3520B is certainly the touch-stone for this size lathe.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

If you are turning any large or out of round pieces I would stay away from any sheet metal stands. They will twist and distort. Cast iron legs sould be a priority. I have a 3520 and would put it head and shoulders above those you are considering. Take a good look at the width of the drive belt. The heft of the banjo. The 3520 is way overbuilt compared to the others. If the cost is possible, it is a pleasure to turn on and maintains a great resale value.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Lindberg View Post

<snip>
    I have not heard anything about General going under, their website is up and I found a number of places listing their products.
    <snip>

This, from Fine Woodworking, June of 2012.

The number of woodworking machines made in North America is about to get even smaller. General Mfg., the Canadian woodworking machinery manufacturer that has been in business since 1946, will be closing its main factory in Drummondville, Quebec, this fall, essentially ending North American production of its tools. According to the company, the plant closing will allow the company “to increase efficiency by combining all Canadian operations under one roof and by eliminating non-profitable SKUs from our product mix.” The closing means General will focus its business resources on the General International, General CNC, and Excalibur lines of woodworking machines, currently made overseas. It’s not clear at this time if any machines from General Mfg. will be appear under any of these umbrellas. The company says warranty service and replacement parts for General Mfg. tools will be available through General International.
    Regards,

Glen

A local tool purveyor has a big Leguna on the floor for sale.. it's got electronic variable speed and a sliding head.. looks like a 3529B knock off.

My opinion of the lathe is very very... I mean very low... never seen it run, never heard it run or seen it used. My opinion is based purely on the fit and finish after assembly. The motor looks to small, the edges of the bed are simply not clean...

It's not the quality of the assembly, its the quality of the castings...

I am in the market to replace my 3520B that was lost in a shop fire a while back.. and just couldn't get excited about this one..

Thanks and good luck w/ ur choices.
    Joe

Thanks to all for the comments.

Joe, it's good to know at least one opinion on the Laguna. Given that it's priced very close to PM I guess this doesn't sound appealing.

The motor is a 'brushless DC' motor. Not sure of the differences between the older DC and newer ones. The older ones were known to have torque problems at lower speeds, and needed to be fine tuned. I think that is why most of the other manufacturers have gone to the 3 phase motors, and phase converters as the 3 phase has better range for the torque.

robo hippy

Thanks Glen, but that is not closing their doors, they are still in business, just importing only (General International) as opposed to Canadian production (General)
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Lindberg View Post
    Thanks Glen, but that is not closing their doors, they are still in business, just importing only (General International) as opposed to Canadian production (General)
    Indeed, Ralph. I never said anything about closing their doors, but rather stated that I thought General had shut down its operation. I cited "General" and not "General International".
    Regards,

Glen

Get the PM 3520B and never look back... you won't regret it. I don't
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

I was having the exact same question as Mreza about the Laguna vs PM and appreciate all of your feedback too. Saved me having to post this myself. The best price I've found on the PM has been at ToolNut.com, from a tip I read on one of the other threads in this forum. If you're in the market, check w/ them for pricing.
    Scott Haddix

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" - Author Unknown

14. I just received my Laguna 24/36 lathe. Laguna has changed the motor to a 3 phase motor by delta. Same motor & vfd as Powermatic. Have not had the lathe long however I am very satisfied with lathe so far.

Comparing the 3520b with the Nova 2024 is hard. I doubt you will ever find a smoother ride than a DVR. However, they didn't beef up the bed from to original 16" and even that was narrower than I would have preferred. The bed alone would keep me away from the larger nova as I cannot believe it would be sturdy enough to deal with larger work. So, between the those 2, I would head toward the Powermatic (which has a great reputation, as you know).
    Nova DVR XP, so-so Sears bandsaw, no-name grinder, a load of Thompson tools, growing pile of "design opportunities"