Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The first project I've gotten paid for

The first project I've gotten paid for

About a month ago, I decided to get some padauk and play. I needed something to hold my writing utensils at work, and I wanted to practice dovetailing with my new BA 10" dovetail saw. So, I made myself a little pencil cup that turned out like crap. Learned a lot, though.

Well, today I can say I finished one for a friend that saw mine at work and wanted one. Here's a couple of pictures for viewing (dis)pleasure.

IMG_2019.jpgIMG_2020.jpg

The first one I made (no, I will not post pictures) was a disaster. The poly had sags and runs everywhere, the dovetails weren't well made, and to be honest, it just sucked. This one, however, I learned some things. It has 6 or 7 coats of a 4:1 poly/mineral spirits blend that was rubbed on with a rag. After the 2nd or 3rd coat, it was sanded with 600 grit sandpaper; just enough to get the nibs off and remove any sags that had occurred or any running.

The 4:1 poly/MS blend was a delight to work with, almost as easy as just slapping BLO on something, but it cured much faster. I found it seemed to thin the poly down to where it cured within about 3 to 4 hours as opposed to what it was taking with 100% poly.

I realize it's not as great as some of the other projects you guys make, but hey. . .it got me $20! And it's the first piece of woodworking that will be sold under my wife's new company. :-D
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Looks like a nice job to me and if the customer was happy then win-win. Gonna frame that $20

Nice work, Adam!

Stan

Looks good! You've made $20 more with your woodworking than I ever have!

Nice! What's the bottom? How is attached?

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Robson View Post
    Looks good! You've made $20 more with your woodworking than I ever have!
    $20 more than me, too!

Waitaminnit....

You can get paid for this?

Nice Job! and smart already having a company set up. Almost ready to quit the day job?

Very nice. Great grain and craftsmanship.

George

A slippery slope indeed. Once you make money woodworking you can justify buying tools that you could not if you worked only for yourself. Then one day you look up and realise that you have a well set up shop where you do work for other people and not yourself. Selling multiples of a project isn't a bad way to go. Don't spend that $20 all in one place!

I have purchased the equipment I have with paying work.

Blog Entries
    I also fund my shop by doing work on the side, often it's woodworking related but lately I reupholstered a set of 8 chairs! lol take what you can get and do it as well as you can. of course I've turned down more than I've taken (but that's changing)... got offered 600$ to build an entertainment unit... after someone saw the one I made for my father.. but he wanted it fast and I had a full time job... should have tried harder on that one! truth is I was a little scared too. well.. live and learn

nice pencil holder! most people don't look for perfect dovetails, they just love the hand made look and feel.
    Last edited by Matthew N. Masail; 09-02-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    It is great to get paid for what you enjoy doing.

For me, dovetails are almost mesmerizing.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My wife usually get my stuff before I even think about selling it!

Yeah, but you know what you're doing.

I'm still reading those adverts in the back of Popular Mechanics,
    wondering how I can turn a profit from my hobby in all my spare time...