Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LN Improved Workbench

LN Improved Workbench

Well I finally broke down and ordered the L-N Improved Workbench. Unfortunately it will be some time before I see it. I was told that with the current backlog that they would not be able to begin building it until sometime in October. Five months! Also the shipping costs seem unreasonable to me. About $ 650. However, much as I object to the shipping cost, and long lead time, still I need (want) the bench.

Hi David, I would encourage you to consider again the idea of building your own and getting it done the way you need it. You could still use the LN vises and hardware if you so desire but, of course it is a bit of work, although lots of ways to accomplish a finished bench. To me, I'm too cheap to spend $2 grand on something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by David Dalzell View Post
    Well I finally broke down and ordered the L-N Improved Workbench. Unfortunately it will be some time before I see it. I was told that with the current backlog that they would not be able to begin building it until sometime in October. Five months! Also the shipping costs seem unreasonable to me. About $ 650. However, much as I object to the shipping cost, and long lead time, still I need (want) the bench.
    David,

Hi, I was going to purchase this bench, but decided to build my own since I decided my skills were not up to the level of warranting the L-N bench.
    If the shipping includes assembly and delivery to out west, then it's not unreasonable.

Pete

There's not a lot there for $2,650. I'd consider building that yourself I were in your shoes.

If you're of lots of money and no time, then you might consider that a good option, otherwise, most of LN's shop stuff (the benches, the sharpening bench, hammers, etc) are very high priced for what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Pedisich View Post
    David,

Hi, I was going to purchase this bench, but decided to build my own since I decided my skills were not up to the level of warranting the L-N bench.
    If the shipping includes assembly and delivery to out west, then it's not unreasonable.

Pete
    I purchased the same bench in August 2011 and received it in December 4 months later. It does include assembly, it is only the top and the legs but the guys hauled it into my shop and set it up. It is a very nice bench and worth the money IMO...the toughest cost to swallow is the delivery charge...

Jim
    "Your beliefs don't make you a better person...your behavior does."

I got a custom bench built by LN in 2008.
    It was pricey but well worth it.

I should build benches instead of guitars!!!

I had considered building a full woodworking bench, but I would rather spend that time building furniture. I have a small home made bench. Very heavy (good), but very short (bad), and with only one vise ((bad).

Well, I gotta tell you that I disagree with everybody here if they think $2650 for a rock solid work bench is too much money. I have built several benches, and the last is a 8' Roubo style with Benchcrafted hardware that is 5" thick maple. I did not count the hours, but I spent a lot more than two weeks working on it, from milling the stock, to all the joinery, and installing the leg and wagon vise. I wouldn't sell my bench for less than $3500, and at that, I'm probably making about $25 an hour, including shop expenses......you know....electric, gas, etc....

I think it's a great experience to build one's own workbench, but if you don't have the time, then you should expect to purchase one from a craftsman who is going to build something for you that you will like working on for a very, very long time.

How many professional woodworkers here can keep going at $1000 a week, including all shop expenses, hardware, and material. I sure as hell can't. I can make that playing poker part time.
    Jeff

Do you have the option of organizing your own shipping? You might be surprised. I have to ship and get shipped oversized and heavy stuff on a pretty regular basis and I almost always find I can get a substantially better deal on my own on the rates compared to what the manufacturer wants. It might be worth a shot to ask...

Blog Entries
    I have to ship and get shipped oversized and heavy stuff on a pretty regular basis and I almost always find I can get a substantially better deal on my own on the rates compared to what the manufacturer wants.
    For many things this is the best way to have it done.

From reading the thread, it sounds like the shipping costs include set up at the delivery site. Most freight companies are not set up for this.

It does include assembly, it is only the top and the legs but the guys hauled it into my shop and set it up.
    Most freight companies will deliver to a door or dock. Often they do not have the ability to move something much beyond the back of the truck, let alone helping the receiver in setting up a work bench.

Does LN ship the bench boxed? There is also a problem for a lot of shipping companies if the product isn't boxed.

The shipping cost may be part of how this is done by LN. Do they send out a truck with a few weeks of production in benches and other items to be shipped across the land?

Do they ship to local crews who then do the delivery and set up?

Fuel, labor and many other things come into the consideration of how much it costs to succeed at getting a bench from Maine into an unknown shop somewhere in North America. Yes, $650 seems like a lot for this until one considers what they get for the money compared to what they might get by hiring someone with a pickup truck to do the job.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I would not feel good about organizing my own shipping. If L-N handles the shipping then I feel assured that if any shipping damage occurs they will be good for it. If I do it then I am not sure who would take responsibility.

I got nothing to add but will echo what others have said.
    mostly two words :
    Klausz bench
    Make one for your self
    Look at this as a right of passage. Forget about thinking how long it will take because it will be four times as long as you hope.
    YOU WILL BE A MUCH BETTER WOODWORKER if and when you survive the ordeal.
    We are talking a bench used mostly for the hand tool cabinet making type of woodworking here. For the easy, noisy, machine tool operator way nah
    but if you want to LEARN to do it "The Cowboy Way" make and use a Klausz.
    This doesn't mean I don't use power tools but this style of bench is best for hand tool woodworking and doing most all the work by hand will not only be a pleasure but make you appreciate the functionality of this bench.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 05-12-2013 at 4:13 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Well I am pretty much a hand tool worker. I do use machines for initial cutting and sizing, but after that is is all by hand. I went to the College of the Redwood Fine Woodworking School and they are very hand tool oriented. In fact we made many of our own tools while there.

OK . . .
    so you are saying you don't have time to build a bench sounds like to me.
    I have more free time than many.
    I have used other vises and benches and I find them convenient only for the makers of the products and clumsy when actually doing the woodworking.
    A built in shoulder vise and tail vise like on the Klausz are super useful and versatile and I can not , now, imagine using anything else.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 05-12-2013 at 4:46 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.