Thread: Hand Carving Letters

Hand Carving Letters

Hi Guys
    A newbie here from the Emerald Isle (Dublin, Ireland).
    I am hand carving a family crest at the moment, and have now come to the lettering stage. I have not carved letters before (only carving last 10 months).
    I have transferred the lettering onto the crest with carbon paper, so don't need to set them. I have the family name on top in capital (times roman script) which are 12x12 mm, which i think i can handle. My problem begins at the bottom of the crest where the motto (in latin) is in small letters 5mm captured in a scrole. I have also translated the motto to english with the small letters again only 5mm.
    Could anyone advise the best way to tackle this problem. I am trying to copy the letters onto some offcuts i have here, but being so small I am finding it very difficult to do without chip out.
    I would appreciate any knowledge or advice.

It works best, working w/ the structure of the letterforms, w/ an understanding of them and w/in the limitations of the material.

Best book I've found on it is Michael Harvey's _Creative Lettering Today_ --- has bits on chisel and knife carving.

William

Any chance of a photo of the type of script you're doing? Most incised letter takes a minimum of tools and can be pretty much straight forward.
    The Woodworking Studio

Gerry,
    I think the key question to ask here is what material do you want to carve into. I have enjoyed chip carving in clear white pine, linden (basswood), and butternut. I wouldn't try a chip carving knife in dried oak for example. So depending on the wood you are using, it might decide things right there. Sounds like I want get Michael Harvey's book also.

I have some examples of chip carving here www.chairsbypaulson.com

Best wishes,
    Jim