Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Totally Neanderthal Project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My First Totally Neanderthal Project

I made this for my wife for Mother's Day. I resawed and bookmatched the top from a chunk of walnut crotchwood. I thought the resulting heart shape was perfect. I debarked it, but left the live edge. the legs are also walnut and are square with a tapered quarter turn. With the exception of my electric branding iron, I went completely "Neanderthal" on this project. The youngest tools that touched this project were probably my Type 11 Stanley #4 & 5 planes. I finished it with Behlen "Smooth Coat" lacquer, topped with 3 layers of Black Bison paste wax.

IMG_20130512_113105_703.jpgIMG_20130512_113119_543.jpgIMG_20130512_113134_562.jpgIMG_20130512_113210_279.jpgIMG_20130512_113235_257.jpgIMG_20130512_113355_659.jpg
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Blog Entries
    Very nice.

Just hope my wife doesn't see this or I am in trouble.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Very nice. The top is stunning. Great job. What did you use to resaw the piece?

Steve

Now that is one cool little table!
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Friedman View Post
    Very nice. The top is stunning. Great job. What did you use to resaw the piece?

Steve
    I used my 11pt D-23. I had just recently sharpened it using that new Veritas saw file holder. I also have a 9pt, which would have been faster, but I figured it would have left me with more to clean up. Each side of the bookmatch is approximately 8" X 20" so my arm got a pretty fair workout.

Stew Hagerty

6. Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    I made this for my wife for Mother's Day. I resawed and bookmatched the top from a chunk of walnut crotchwood. I thought the resulting heart shape was perfect. I debarked it, but left the live edge. the legs are also walnut and are square with a tapered quarter turn. With the exception of my electric branding iron, I went completely "Neanderthal" on this project. The youngest tools that touched this project were probably my Type 11 Stanley #4 & 5 planes. I finished it with Behlen "Smooth Coat" lacquer, topped with 3 layers of Black Bison paste wax.

IMG_20130512_113105_703.jpgIMG_20130512_113119_543.jpgIMG_20130512_113134_562.jpgIMG_20130512_113210_279.jpgIMG_20130512_113235_257.jpgIMG_20130512_113355_659.jpg
    Art, brother. It's art.

That's great - I really like that. Beautiful choice of wood.

What do you mean by the legs "are square with a tapered quarter turn"? They twist? Or they are tapered on two faces? The turn part throws me.

I like the simplicity of it all. Did you debark with a drawknife?
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    That's great - I really like that. Beautiful choice of wood.

What do you mean by the legs "are square with a tapered quarter turn"? They twist? Or they are tapered on two faces? The turn part throws me.

I like the simplicity of it all. Did you debark with a drawknife?
    Yeah, I'm sorry about that but I didn't know how else to describe it. Here's what I did... I started our with a square leg and I marked the centerpoint of each side on one end. I came down half an inch from the other end and marked all of the corners. Then I marked long lines from each of the corners down to the centerpoints. I used my #4 & 5 planes to taper the square down the edges following the long lines and turning into a diamond shape half the size at the other end. It looks as though the square of the legs gets turned 45 degrees.
    OK, reading that back I'm still not sure I explained it, but I know what I did... I don't have a lathe so I'm more limited in what I can do with a long skinny leg like this.

As for debarking... I started off with one of my 10" drawknives to get off the bulk of it. Then I came in with my great little 3 1/2" one that I used to really get it just the way I wanted it. And I finished up with a spokeshave just to "manicure" the edge.

BTW, the final dimensions are 20"l x 9 1/2"w x 18"h and the legs are splayed at 11 1/4 degrees. The front leg goes straight out the towards the tip while the other two are at 45 degree angles off the centerline of the top. I kept playing with the legs until I got them in a position that was stable, but didn't look like a baby colt trying to stand up for the first time. Once I was happy with the way it looked, I measured and 11 1/4 degrees was the result.

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    Yeah, I'm sorry about that but I didn't know how else to describe it. Here's what I did... I started our with a square leg and I marked the centerpoint of each side on one end. I came down half an inch from the other end and marked all of the corners. Then I marked long lines from each of the corners down to the centerpoints. I used my #4 & 5 planes to taper the square down the edges following the long lines and turning into a diamond shape half the size at the other end. It looks as though the square of the legs gets turned 45 degrees.
    OK, reading that back I'm still not sure I explained it, but I know what I did... I don't have a lathe so I'm more limited in what I can do with a long skinny leg like this.
    Oh I see what you did. I like that and as a member of the latheless community I will be stealing that idea should I find myself making something with skinny legs. Very very cool technique and cool effect.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Got you, thanks. Makes sense now. Almost basically a chamfered leg that tapers down so the four chamfers meet, then?

I really do dig this, eve though it's not normally my style.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Got you, thanks. Makes sense now. Almost basically a chamfered leg that tapers down so the four chamfers meet, then?

Yeah that's it. The way you just described it, even I understand it.

Stew Hagerty

Beautiful work. Lucky woman.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    Beautiful work. Lucky woman.
    No, actually I'm the lucky one. I don't know what I would do without her.

Stew Hagerty

The trickiest part for me was making the through tenons. and boring the mortises. I finally got to use my Flexcut SK108 "Deluxe Starter Set". I knifed the angled shoulder, pared away most of the excess, the used the carving tools to shape the 1/2" round tenon. And, I had never before done precision boring by hand. That top is one of a kind so I was pretty nervous.

Stew Hagerty

Great work, very well executed. I like it