Thread: Hand Application of Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish

Hand Application of Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish

I'm going to be applying Waterlox original sealer/finish to a cherry vanity by hand. What recommendations do you have for putting down the Waterlox? Foam brush, natural bristle brush, wiping or some other method? If wiping, please provide your suggested technique.

Thanks.

Bob

my preferred method is to wipe it on with rags/pads. i tried the foam brush but you need a new one for each coat. i've tried the bristle brush and liked it better, provided you get a nice brush and perform the required maintenance/up keep. with proper care the brush will last quite along time. the rags/pad will require more coats as it lays down a thinner layer than most the other methods. i can usually wipe on two to three coats in a day, which would be roughly the same as one brushed on coat.

I have used cheap foam brushes and all sorts of regular brushes. My primary "weapon" of choice, however, is a nice brush. Just be sure to clean the brush well, because it is very difficult to clean it after the stuff dries (Used "xylene" if my memory serves me correctly).

Conditioning the BRUSH is important... Here's a video I did for American Woodworker Magazine a couple of years ago...

Brush care 101

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZW8d...ature=youtu.be
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    I've had good results using ultra thin coats .. (70% VM&P Naptha : 30% Waterlox) .. REALLY slop on the first few coats, wiping back after several minutes of soaking .. then, wiped on without wiping back to get faster build. Three to four coats in a day (in good conditions) is pretty typical, so my finishing "schedule" usually takes from 3-5 days, depending on the look I want.

Those first "soaker" coats really go a long way towards filling up the pores and stopping both air bubbles and bleeding back of the finish.

Brush care 101
    Excellent tutorial.
    IMHO - should be stickied at the top of this forum since it's so important.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post
    Conditioning the BRUSH is important... Here's a video I did for American Woodworker Magazine a couple of years ago...

Brush care 101

Fabulous tutorial. I'm ashamed to say I knew much of that already, but only complete the process about half the time. I do need to add a third jar of mineral spirits, the citrus cleaner, and a pan dedicated to varnish. Thank you.

Great video! I learned several things. Thanks.

Scott - this is an excellent video. I wish a moderator would sticky it to the top of this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post

Brush care 101

It is exactly that video that has allowed me to reuse my brushes (and it is the reason that I bothered to spend the money on a couple of nice brushes). Sadly, I was sloppy one day, but some more advice from you to another creeker provided me the information I needed to remove the contamination and the brush again works great. In other words, you have greatly improved my finishing....

Thank you Chris for posting Scott's video as a Sticky!

Thank you Scott Holmes! This is an example of forum information sharing at its best.