Thread: Help with engraving MILL-A-63576

Help with engraving MILL-A-63576

This is my first post and I want to say I love this forum. I'm new to this business (not new to laser engraving) and this forum really helps. I have some parts that have a MILL-A-63576 coating that need to be engraved. I want to know if anybody has worked with this type of coating in the past. I know it is a type of anodized aluminum with a low friction coating, but I want to know if I need to make any special adjustments. I don't have any samples to test on so my first run needs to be spot on.
    Universal VLS3.50 30 Watts
    CorelDRAW X5
    Autodesk Inventor 2010
    Adobe Illustrator CS3

It appears MIL-A-63576 is a corrosion resistance / dri film lubricant Teflon.... I don't think any special steps need to be taken except in insuring proper venting. But I have no first hand experience.
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

If Mark is correct about the teflon then you really do need to heed his advice to ventilate well - teflon emits nasty gasses when lasered. Teflon and PVC are the only two things my manufacturer specifically say not to laser!

That's what I figured, but I'm glad its only a short run.
    CorelDRAW X5
    Autodesk Inventor 2010
    Adobe Illustrator CS3

Of course one of my first orders is on the forbidden list. I have a strong blower that works well unless i'm cutting for more than 2-3 hours straight, then it starts to smell slightly. Luckily these parts only takes a few minutes. Thanks for the advice.
    CorelDRAW X5
    Autodesk Inventor 2010
    Adobe Illustrator CS3