Thread: New lathe question

New lathe question

Received a new Powermatic 3520 after Christmas. I finally went to assemble it today and noticed a 12'' long scratch that was under the tailstock. The bed and head are still on the crate the bottom of the tailstock and banjo are smooth. Since I waited almost 6 months to unpack, should I complain or just try to buff it smooth?

Thanks,

Bill

I can't really address your question, but let me see if I have this straight. You received a Powermatic 3520 5.5 months ago and you just now began to assemble it??????????
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Bill, for me it would depend on the depth of the scratch. If you have a deep scratch that will not buff out easily I would be talking to the supplier and perhaps the shipping company. If it will easily buff out without effecting the operation of the tailstock or banjo, I would buff it out and get to turning. I guess how deep is too deep is going to depend on you.

After this long you are not going to get anybody to listen to you at the shipping company. They might pretend to be listening, but they won't be. No idea about the seller, but I doubt of they will be much help beyond getting some touch up pain for you.

I feel for you, but at this point, I don't believe you have any chance with the shipping company. It's simply been too long for them to accept a claim, particularly with something of this value. You said under the tailstock. Do you mean on the ways somewhere or on the tailstock itself. If it is just a scratch on the paint, you honestly can only blame yourself for not noticing until now and just try to touch it up. Sorry to make it sound like that. If it effects the use of the lathe, I believe your best option starts with your supplier. Good luck.
    "a noble spirit embiggins the smallest man"

Bill - Without a pic, or better description, we can't really evaluate this. Is the scratch in the milled surface of the ways, or is it in the paint finish? Was there anything loose in the packing crate that might have caused it in transit? Was the tailstock locked down when you first inspected it? Seems to me, if there isn't any visible damage to the exterior of the packing crate, this is more likely something that either slipped by QC, or is the result of a problem in the way things were secured and packed, rather than a freight-handling issue. In which case your warranty against defects in workmanship and materials should cover this. Have you taken pics and spoken to Jet/PM? Hard to imagine they wouldn't work with you on this.

BTW, I admire your high threshold for deferred gratification!

David

Thanks for the info, I'll call PM. It took so long to get to because I helped a couple of families make their houses inhabitable due to the hurricane, dad twice in the hospital, 5 college visits, and it was just too cold in the garage.
    Thanks for the help and comments.
    Bill

You're still going to call them? What type of action would you expect them to do? Do you think they have a long warranty against scratches? I'd do some really fine block sanding to just remove any burrs, but leave the scratch and start turning. It won't make any difference to the lathes performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    You're still going to call them? What type of action would you expect them to do? Do you think they have a long warranty against scratches? I'd do some really fine block sanding to just remove any burrs, but leave the scratch and start turning. It won't make any difference to the lathes performance.
    Richard, not sure I understand this. Granted, we don't yet know the cause of the scratch, or even the seriousness of it, based on Bill's posts. But if it is a serious scratch, and is attributable to a defect in materials or workmanship (including improper packing by the vendor), why wouldn't we expect the vendor, especially Jet/PM, to honor their warranty? On the other hand, if it is the result of damage by the carrier during shipping, that's quite different, as a delay in bringing the problem to the vendor's and carrier's attention may compromise their ability to settle the claim.

David

When I get a new car, one of the first things I like to do is give it a little scratch or dent or bump. Nothing major, but just to get the first one out of the way so I quit worrying about it. If the scratch doesn't affect usability, maybe you could look at it like that?

0-1.jpeg

Pic of the scratch/gouge,deep enough to hold a fingernail. Sent pics to PM said they'll figure something out. Sorry it won't enlarge, approx 12'' long.
    Last edited by Bill Gugel; 05-17-2013 at 4:26 PM.

That's not going to effect a thing. Get over it and start turning. With that heavy tailstock your going to get some scratches anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Richard, not sure I understand this. Granted, we don't yet know the cause of the scratch, or even the seriousness of it, based on Bill's posts. But if it is a serious scratch, and is attributable to a defect in materials or workmanship (including improper packing by the vendor), why wouldn't we expect the vendor, especially Jet/PM, to honor their warranty? On the other hand, if it is the result of damage by the carrier during shipping, that's quite different, as a delay in bringing the problem to the vendor's and carrier's attention may compromise their ability to settle the claim.

David
    My point exactly David. How can you make a claim on a machine delivered 6 months ago? It would be something way above and beyond to expect any action from the shipper or manufacturer.