Thread: Box Elder Vase

Box Elder Vase

I have been experimenting with larger forms, primarily Southwestern, for the past year or so and I think that with this latest piece, I have finally captured the form I was after all along.

Box Elder, 13.75” high x 8.5” diameter x 1/8” thick. (349 mm high x 216 mm diameter x 3 mm thick) This was sanded to 320 grit, given many coats of gloss wipe-on poly, then rubbed out with 0000 steel wool and given a coat of Renaissance wax for a smooth as glass finish.
    Large Box Elder Vase 1.jpg Large Box Elder Vase 3.jpg Large Box Elder Vase 4.jpg Large Box Elder Vase 5.jpg Large Box Elder Vase 7.jpg

As always, your comments, opinions and critiques are welcome!

Thanks for looking!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

My wife walked by and said, "That was a neat shape!" I agree. Interesting the way the red ended up. I like it a lot, Steve.

Looks like a winner to me. Nice job Steve.

Beautiful form! But might you be exagerating just a bit about the wall thickness? We can readily see that exquisite lip edge looks to be barely 1/8". For those of us not nearly so accomplished, would you suggest continuing that 1/8" wall thickness all the way to the equator? I'm amazed that could even be safe to consider as an eventual goal? If not, what roughly was your actual thickness nearer to the equator? Unless I'm way off, your wall thickness equates to just 1.5% of the diameter?.. Did you rough turn this Box Elder vase first in the green condition, then dry and return to finished form?

Iike every thing about it Steve. Nice work.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

A very pleasing shape and nice coloring.
    Half way between the north pole and the equator!
    Half way between Steve Schlumpf and John Keeton!

Very nice piece piece Steve--pretty. I do mostly pueblo work--love those people and history. Yourtall pot is a bit unusual in the turning group but all variations are seen in the pueblos and I admire that. They like we get tired of the same old rut and you see new wave pottery in the best galleries. You done good.

Morey - the vase is approximately 1/8" thick until the last 3" or so, at which point I gradually increased the thickness to leave the base thicker to provide some ballast. This piece was roughed out last July, soaked in DNA and allowed to dry. Also, I was in no hurry to complete the form (it was on the lathe for almost a month), so really took my time getting the walls consistent. I use a Monster hollowing system - with a laser - and that allows me to turn fairly thin.
    Steve

Wow Steve, I am in full agreement that this form is exquisite. I like that you reach out to artistic shapes not necessarily within the turning community and outside the golden mean. Don't know if the flame in the Elder occurred serendipitously as it did or it was planned (I highly suspect the latter), but it certainly made for a stunning work.

Lovely result Steve with the bulk of the color at the base giving it
    a look of being partially filled with liquid.

A great achievement in getting the walls so thin without it collapsing.

Well done!

Alan
    My wife and I had words, but I didn't get to use mine.

Steve, this one is the best of the series! Sweet curves and the color formation really adds to the overall look - this one would look perfect as an accent piece in someone's home. Great job!

Steve, that looks great. Did you use the Monster articulating arm or captured system? That's pretty deep for those. How did they handle the chatter? Oh, also love the color, Box Elder is one of my favorites.

Josh - I used the Monster captured system along with their 1" bar. Even with the thicker bar, chatter was present at the very bottom of the piece. Only thing I could do was to take very light cuts. Even though this piece is pretty small compared to what your new hollowing system can hollow - I sure would have appreciated a heavier system!
    Steve

Love the way the curves finish at the neck!

David

Just perfect Steve! You have restored my faith in box elder