Thread: min-wax wood stain

Angry min-wax wood stain

I applied Minwax wood stain conditioner to some red oak. I waited the 5-15 minutes and wiped it off. About two hours latter I applied Minwax Golden Oak
    stain. I waited about 10 minutes and wiped it off. Let it dry overnight. Next morning there were raised liquid spots on top of the stained wood. I wiped that off
    and minutes later they re-appeared. I can't seam to get rid of the spots so I can use wipe on poly. Anybody else have this problem? I tried using just the stain
    on a piece of cut-off and it looked good after about 8 hours. What gives.
    Epilog EXT 40 watt, Legend 24TT 45 watt, Corel 3X, Deckel pantographs, Meistergram 18-28 (2)

Sounds like the surface was contaminated. Spray any silicone or other stuff near your project?

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

I've did several projects with red oak, and each time I've stained it, I had the same thing happen. I didn't use conditioner either, so don't think the conditioner makes a difference. If you do a search on "red oak stain bleeding" you'll see its a common issued when staining red oak.

Red oak has open pores that drink and then bleed back stain or finish. You might have to do it a few times, but the dots should eventually cease. You were lucky that they wiped off easy over night. Sometimes they gum up and are trickier to remove.

You may have a similar issue with the poly you apply too.

Next time you may want to use some pore filler.