Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Scientist Explains The Physics of Resawing

This is one of the better posts/videos that I've seen in a longggg time. Thanks for sharing Julie.

I watched several of his videos. He even created a band saw made from wood.

The big enemy on band saws for getting a good cut is vibration in the saw itself.
    The top saws have very little vibration.
    I once chased all the vibrations away on a Delta 14" saw, using upgrades and dampening, and had a cut that people thought came off a table saw.
    A lot of work chasing all the sources, but in the end worth it for what I was using the saw for.

The one thing I would recommend in blades is an irregular tooth pattern, since this eliminates resonant vibrations from building up.

This you had in the WoodSlicer blade: "Our famous Wood Slicer bandsaw blade cuts smoother and quieter than any other resawing blade on the market. Its outstanding performance is due to its 3-4 tpi variable tooth pitch design, in which uneven spacing between the teeth nearly eliminates vibration during a cut. The Wood Slicer's tooth pattern damps harmonic resonance extremely effectively; the result is superlatively smooth cuts and much, much quieter operation than ordinary bandsaw blades." link

I am not 'comfortable' with his analogy with a hacksaw. A bandsaw works on the pull 'stroke' while a hacksaw on the push stroke. I get by with 'minimal' tension, and let a sharp blade and good feed rate help.
    On the feed rate, I think there is a sweet spot (or maybe just a figment of my imagination): the rate when I 'feel' that the saw is kinda pulling the wood into the blade. Resist the tendency to go faster at that point.
    Again, it could be rather subjective, but it takes very little to find if it works for others too.
    Best wishes,
    Metod