Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unusual Vise

Unusual Vise

I was browsing eBay and ran across this bench for sale. I wouldn't have given it a second look if I had not seen the way the vise worked. I thought I would pass it on...

Interesting Vise 03.jpgInteresting Vise 01.jpgInteresting Vise 02.jpg
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Interesting concept. I wonder how it works in practice?

That bench has sure worked for a living!

That vise looks really easy to make - I might give it a try over the weekend (mainly out of curiosity). Thanks Stew.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    Interesting concept. I wonder how it works in practice?

That bench has sure worked for a living!
    I know... It's sure seen a project or two.

Stew Hagerty

I am not seeing a flaw. I think I rather like the idea!

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Strawn View Post
    I am not seeing a flaw. I think I rather like the idea!

Bob
    Well...all of the stress/pressure is transmitted, one way or another, to the nut and the hole through which the steel screw passes; and there'll be bending pressure on the screw itself. I can see the possibility of a lot of wobble when the screw, nut, and hole get old and worn; and, at least in theory, some bending of the screw. Not sure this is a great design, but it's sure an interesting one. I'll be waiting to see what results experimentation yields.
    Last edited by Bill Houghton; 05-17-2013 at 12:09 PM. Reason: change one adjective to clarify post

If I understand the concept of the vice correctly, wouldn't it be an idea to add a tiny wheel underneath the front board of the vice? Wouldn't it otherwise scrape across the floor?
    Or is it simply hanging by the threaded rod?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    Well...all of the stress/pressure is transmitted, one way or another, to the nut and the hole through which the steel screw passes; and there'll be lateral pressure on the screw itself. I can see the possibility of a lot of wobble when the screw, nut, and hole get old and worn; and, at least in theory, some bending of the screw. Not sure this is a great design, but it's sure an interesting one. I'll be waiting to see what results experimentation yields.
    I see what you mean. As a piece is clamped, the force causes the bottom to want to move inward, which in turn pushes up on the back of the screw. What you will get as a result is a torque on the nut/hole wanting to twist it. The nut in this case is actually a pivot point.

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    I see what you mean. As a piece is clamped, the force causes the bottom to want to move inward, which in turn pushes up on the back of the screw. What you will get as a result is a torque on the nut/hole wanting to twist it. The nut in this case is actually a pivot point.
    Yes, and the top of the vise will move vertically as the screw is turned. I think that vertical movement is why this simple design is not seen more often. Think of it as vertical racking as the vise is tightened.

Edit: Re thinking the movement thing. the closer the upper pivot is to the nut the less movement, but the less resistance to racking. Need to make a full size proof of concept model to really see what is going on. It may work well for a small range of opening - which really is all most of us need.
    Last edited by mike holden; 05-17-2013 at 11:23 AM. Reason: additional thought
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    Yes, and the top of the vise will move vertically as the screw is turned. I think that vertical movement is why this simple design is not seen more often. Think of it as vertical racking as the vise is tightened.

Edit: Re thinking the movement thing. the closer the upper pivot is to the nut the less movement, but the less resistance to racking. Need to make a full size proof of concept model to really see what is going on. It may work well for a small range of opening - which really is all most of us need.
    I'm not sure I see where you get vertical movement at the jaw.

If you were to put in two nuts spaced apart a few inches (or one very long nut) the it would minimize the twist. But of course, then it would put more strain on the screw.

I'm not going to be around my shop for a few days, but I'd love to hear from anyone that makes one.

Stew Hagerty

Looks like a Nicholson bench. Where is The Schwarz when one needs him?

Looks like kind of a neat idea. I'm guessing the nut block under the bench pushes against the underside of the bench as you tighten the vise. So you would just have to have a good hard runner under the bench that he block would slide on and probably waxed to reduce friction. I guess as long as the length of the chop below the screw is fairly large compared to that above, it wouldn't bend the screw too much.

Actually,the play in the screw in its hole would allow the front jaw to rise up an undesired amount. Some way of preventing the front jaw from rising would be helpful. If the diagonal piece were wider,and firmly attached at both ends and the sliding block rode on tracks to prevent it going downwards,it would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    I'm not sure I see where you get vertical movement at the jaw.
    The connection between the angled brace constitutes one leg and two vertices of a triangle, the movable jaw and the point where the threaded rod comes through is the second leg, the connection at the top of the angled brace and the point where the threaded rod comes through is the third leg. If the third leg becomes shorter, the leg must rise as the angled brace length cannot change. Simple geometry.
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Loose or slightly worn parts will negate things and let the jaw rise anyway,I think.