Thread: New tools gloat

New tools gloat

A tool junkie is a tool junkie. Having over 25 chucks and well over 100 gouges in two shops, the last thing I needed was another chuck or another gouge, but...... Mike Cruz wrote about the Hurricane Chuck and I ordered one. I liked it so much that I ordered another one. I liked their 10V gouge so much that I ordered still another one as well. The chuck held a 13" hollow form beautifully and I think that it is a fantastic bargain. The Novas and Grizzlies are made in China, but this is quite superior to both IMO, and the gouge is made in the US. Thought I'd pass this along. I never met the owner, only spoke to him once-in the process of ordering his tools-and have no financial stake in their company. It's nice though to pass along a compliment rather than a complaint.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

Hehe, this is pretty funny... One of the Strongholds that I had, and sold recently, came from Hilel...

Glad to see that you liked the chucks, Hilel. Glad from the perspective that it isn't just me. I've been a Stronghold owner, I've had the Grizzly, and I have a Teknatool (for my midi lathe). I, too, feel that the Hurricanes are as good as the rest for a better price. And I did get one of the 10V gouges, too. Though I have two Thompson's 5/8" V gouges, so I didn't "need" more than one of the Hurricane 10V gouges... I picked up one of his 2" spindle roughing gouges too, and it worked great.

Did you get the 100s or the 125s?
    I drink, therefore I am.

A tool junkie is a tool junkie. Having over 25 chucks and well over 100 gouges in two shops, the last thing I needed was another chuck or another gouge, but...... Mike Cruz wrote about the Hurricane Chuck and I ordered one.
    I hear ya, Hilel. Hope you're making those 25+ chucks pay! If not, it's time for an intervention.

David

Mike and Dave,

I got the big chucks and they are IMO much more substantial than the SN II's or the Grizzlies' (both of which I own). What I like about these is that the back is covered, the jaws are dovetailed, there is a hole in the insert for removing the chuck without using the key. The key itself is a combination of Vicmarc's square drive and Stronghold's large T-handle. I'm a big Vicmarc fan and that won't change, but these chucks are an exceptional value. The gouges (made in the USA) are really heavy duty. Again, I like Hamlet, Thompson and Crowns, but these are also exceptional values.
    As for intervention David, I've long needed it but .... the one thing that I determined very early is that I don't want to die saying "I should have..." My overtaxed credit cards will be paid off and neither my wife nor my kids will suffer from my addiction.
    Hilel
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

I got the HTC 125 a month or so ago and love it. It is well built and well balanced.
    Do or do not, there is no try.