Thread: Remotoring a Rockwell 28-350 20" Bandsaw

Remotoring a Rockwell 28-350 20" Bandsaw

One of these has come up locally, and I'm wondering how difficult it would be to remotor it with something more powerful. It currently is running with a 120v motor. If I get it I'll put a 1" blade on it and use it primarily for resawing/"big cuts", keeping my 14" Chinee Delta for curve cuts and such.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I've got a Powermatic Model 87. It came with a 2 hp motor. The basic layout of the saw looks very similar. You may have to drill some new holes but I'd look for a motor with the same frame layout and same dia. shaft. I've cut thru 12" thick stock and haven't had any problems with my 2 hp motor.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    One of these has come up locally, and I'm wondering how difficult it would be to remotor it with something more powerful. It currently is running with a 120v motor. If I get it I'll put a 1" blade on it and use it primarily for resawing/"big cuts", keeping my 14" Chinee Delta for curve cuts and such.
    First, if the machine has all its parts and is reasonably priced, run and buy it right now. You won't regret it. These machines were built to last a lifetime, and the bulletproof 24X20 table lets you do stuff that will make you wonder how you ever lived without it. Look very closely for cracks or breaks in the table trunnions, upper wheel carrier/yoke, and wheels, as these parts are virtually impossible to get. Also unavailable are the nuts that hold the bearings in, so be gentle with them (some are left hand). Finally it's not common but if either shaft has been worn away by a seized bearing, give the machine a pass unless you know a machinist with good lathe skills.

As for the motor, voltage doesn't matter much. Horsepower matters. The standard motor was a 1 or 1.5 HP motor. These work well in that saw unless you do a lot of resawing logs or odd-shaped pieces that aren't well supported. You've got over 13" under the guide so a good sled helps a lot.

I run mine with an original 1 HP Repulsion/Induction motor. This is all you need for most work. However for production work in very tall softwoods or cutting logs, I would recommend 2 HP. There isn't a lot of room in the cabinet, so measure carefully. Also the pulleys have a nonstandard pitch and bore so if you swap the motor you'll have to get new pulleys (Grizzzly sells them). Remember that switching the motor may require you to switch the starter or components of the starter also.

An original Delta Repulsion/Induction 1HP motor is very much in demand and worth good money on auction sites. If you have the rare 1.5 HP R/I motor you won't see any benefit from a modern 2 HP.

The picture below is a 1/16" veneer over 12" wide coming out of an ash log using a 3/8X4TPI band and the original 1947 motor. This log is well supported so it can't vibrate which is critical.

bandsaw_mythbusters.jpg
    Last edited by Pete Bradley; 05-24-2013 at 10:54 PM.

I have the other old 20" Delta, 28-340 I think [?] and just remotored with a 5 hp 3 ph Baldor. It was an improvement on my saw, but I think there may have been an issue with the 3 hp that came with it.

Larry