Thread: Stand for my Jet 10-20… with complete lack of planning

Stand for my Jet 10-20… with complete lack of planning

I started out just making a stand for my Jet 10-20, nothing really fancy; I am more of a functional person more than a looks good person. I built it out of 2x4s, planed them down to get good square corners and used 8 dowels per joint, very strong and functional. The 2x4s are cheap, strong and easy to work with, much like myself.

Had it all made, glued up and then I thought, with all that space under it I could put in some drawers. (Again lack of planning) Got some pine and made me a quick face frame, there was another post on that ordeal.

I ran up to HD and got some slides, I normally order my slides on line and the ones I get can be mounted just on the front and back and work fine. Well these slides were self-closing so I could not mount them on the back.

Now I had to cut some 3/4" x 3" dados in the stand to mount some board to mount the slides, no problem cut the dados and screwed and glued in the boards. At this point I made the drawers and got them ready. Mounted the slides and installed the drawers, looks good. (More lack of planning)

But wait, the drawers are going to get full of dust and stuff there is no sides. So I dug out some 1/4" ply I had and put some slides on it.

This whole project started out as just a basic frame to set the sander on. Now if I had just set down and planed it out to start I could have made a really nice looking stand with nice sides, a face frame that fit like it should.

I guess the lesson here is I will not start another project without planning it out first.

P5164741.jpg P5144739.jpg

Bill that's a really nice looking stand. I'd hate to see what would happen if you had planned it
    -Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kincaid View Post
    Bill that's a really nice looking stand. I'd hate to see what would happen if you had planned it
    -Brian
    Well looks can be deceiving, the top over lays the face frame, the sides over lay the face frame, the sides are just 1/4" play, the sides do not go all the way done to the base.
    It is just kind of hodgepodged.....

Bill,

That's a nice cabinet. Always can use more drawer space. My next project is to make a rolling cabinet for our mortiser.

How are you finding the Jet 10-20? I have read some nightmarish reviews about problems with getting them adjusted, etc. but enough reviews were positive enough to get one as a Mother's Day gift for my wife who has been wanting a drum sander for prepping veneer and sanding figured wood. I'm waiting for my son to get home from college to get it out of the box and up on the stand. I don't know how useful the outfeed tables are, but I decided to try to get a pair. They don't appear to be listed any more, but I was able to track down a leftover at a Woodcraft in Florida which was marked off 25%. If you have any tips on setting up the machine and using it, I'd appreciate it.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Clement View Post
    Bill,

That's a nice cabinet. Always can use more drawer space. My next project is to make a rolling cabinet for our mortiser.

How are you finding the Jet 10-20? I have read some nightmarish reviews about problems with getting them adjusted, etc. but enough reviews were positive enough to get one as a Mother's Day gift for my wife who has been wanting a drum sander for prepping veneer and sanding figured wood. I'm waiting for my son to get home from college to get it out of the box and up on the stand. I don't know how useful the outfeed tables are, but I decided to try to get a pair. They don't appear to be listed any more, but I was able to track down a leftover at a Woodcraft in Florida which was marked off 25%. If you have any tips on setting up the machine and using it, I'd appreciate it.

Jonathan
    The tracking of the belt can be a little fun to get right but its not that bad. Once you get it right it stays there and I just have not had a problem with it.
    The out feed tables are really needed if you are doing any panels that are very large, you just cannot keep them flat as they come out. I have a roller I use for large panels for out feed.
    You really need dust collection, it makes a lot of dust, I have started mine up and did not have the DC on and it makes a cloud really fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    The out feed tables are really needed if you are doing any panels that are very large, you just cannot keep them flat as they come out. I have a roller I use for large panels for out feed.
    Nice job Bill of evolving the project. Sometimes it's just good for the soul to start working and see where it goes.

.. You know.. with a little more non-planning, you could add some flip up in/out feed tables to the sides of the cabinet... ..Just saying..
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    The tracking of the belt can be a little fun to get right but its not that bad. Once you get it right it stays there and I just have not had a problem with it.
    You really need dust collection, it makes a lot of dust, I have started mine up and did not have the DC on and it makes a cloud really fast.

Thanks for the tips, Bill. I think I will use the DC hose that we connect interchangeably to our 12" planer and 8" jointer. It has a short run from our 1.5 HP DC.

Roger Davis, you PM'd me about this. I have responded. Let me know if you didn't receive it. Jonathan

Some of the most unique projects I've done are the result of spontaneous creation. Have a need, start hitting the scrap pile, designing around the available scraps and ending up with a fix for the need but in no way a form that would have been planned.