Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying to buy a cabinet saw

Trying to buy a cabinet saw

I have been waiting for about six weeks for the Jet 708663MBK 3HP left tilt tablesaw with 50" Premier Fence and mobil base. I just received word that it is backordered again and the new date now is June 20th. The total price was $1444 which seemed very good. Now I am just beside my self. The dealer said that he could not get a General for a long while because they would not ship unless he has a very large order. It just seems impossible to buy anything in southwest Florida except standard stock tools. You guys that live in woodworking areas are really lucky that you can just go out and get something when you need it.

I just looked at the Grizzly web site and they have the G1023SLX that looks about like the same as the Jet. With the mobil base and the summer sale price it comes out to about the same amount of money delivered.

Is the Grizzly just as good as the Jet? Is the Classic Shop Fox fence just as good as I understand that the fence is one of the most important parts. Are the Shop Fox mobil bases a good product? Would you go for this saw or try for a general or some other brand?

Thanks! Allen
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 05-17-2005 at 3:43 PM.

Allen,

Have you checked Amazon? You should be able to get them to match the price you received. Plus they have free shipping.

Good luck in your search!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Well Jeff, That has to be a record on response time. Allen

You might check with Wilke Machinery on a Bridgewood saw as well. They were great when I recently bought my jointer.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Bookout
    Well Jeff, That has to be a record on response time. Allen
    Just happened to see your post.

I looked out on amazon. They do have the saw you are looking at, however it is $55 higher there. If you give them a call, they may match the $1444 price over the phone. If not, are you going to have to pay sales tax locally? If so, you may break even buying it from them and you will have it quicker.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=507846

No affiliation with Amazon, just have purchased a few tools through them, both that were price matched and am happy with their service.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

I cant find a way to post a message without replying. Forgive me but I need help cutting compound miters for crown mouldings. I have the tools But havent figured the proper placement of the moulding to get the correct angle. Thanks , Jerry
    dumb but trying

Matt, I checked Wilke and that looks like a possibility. Jeff, I just checked Amazon and I looked at their price matching policy and the product has to be in stock at the place that you are giving the price from so I do not suppose that it would work. The $55 extra is not a big deal, however I might just go with Grizzly if members think that it is just as good a product.

Thanks! Allen
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 05-17-2005 at 3:16 PM.

Are you driving distance to GA? Redumnds is having a special on a refurbed uni with commercial 50" beis plus 2 cast iron wings and extension table. FWIW

http://www.redmond-machinery.com

Tim, I see what you are talking about. Delta 36-l31x-bc50r 10" left tilt Delta 3HP unisaw (reconditioned) for $1349.95. From what I have seen on this forum people seem to really like their unisaws. Is this a true statement? Are these saws American made and are they real good quality? I seem to get the impression that they are as good as you can buy. Any comments?

Also, I did buy the American made Delta 14" upper part of the bandsaw from Redmond and they were great to deal with. The saw was in Bradenton, Fl in two days. What a shock. I had to really hustle to run up there and get it. Thanks for the heads up!
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 05-17-2005 at 3:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Coble
    I cant find a way to post a message without replying. Forgive me but I need help cutting compound miters for crown mouldings. I have the tools But havent figured the proper placement of the moulding to get the correct angle. Thanks , Jerry
    Jerry, see the thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=20340

Allen
    I bought a recon uni from Redmonds about 5 years ago and have no regrets. At the time it was 1000 with a Biesmeyer 50" fence. Shipping as I recall was over a hundred but not that much more. Good folks to deal with. You couldnt tell that the saw was not new cept for a recon tag from delta on the back. Only consideration is that the shipping may make the price equal or close to what you could get from Amazon. Price it out and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Bookout
    Tim, I see what you are talking about. Delta 36-l31x-bc50r 10" left tilt Delta 3HP unisaw (reconditioned) for $1349.95. From what I have seen on this forum people seem to really like their unisaws. Is this a true statement? Are these saws American made and are they real good quality? I seem to get the impression that they are as good as you can buy. Any comments?

Also, I did buy the American made Delta 14" upper part of the bandsaw from Redmond and they were great to deal with. The saw was in Bradenton, Fl in two days. What a shock. I had to really hustle to run up there and get it. Thanks for the heads up!
    I bought the delta 14" top as well...I think I covered it pretty well a couple weeks ago here. In fact based on my dealings with Rich at redmunds is why I suggested you take a look at the recon, you might call rich and ask him your questions...I have never heard of a uni that wasn't made in the USA...but I may be wrong. i would not say its as "good as you can buy"...but at that price it should be on the short list of 2 or 3. Stepping up and over the 2grand mark you get to look at PM and general...but I would think the uni would be a great saw with all those extra's at that price.

I just bought the same package from Amazon for $1499. I'm not thrilled with the fence system. Specifically, I don't like the cursor and rule on the Jet Premier fence as much as the Biesemeyer. I don't think it operates as smoothly either. Other than that, it's a solid machine.

FYI: I read in another thread on SMC that Woodworker's Supply has 3HP Unisaws with the 50" Biesemeyer fence including the mobile base for the same price... $1499 plus free freight. Had I known, I would have bought that package instead of the Jet.

-Kevin
    "He who dies with the most toys is none the less dead."

Allen,
    Don't forget, as you are out of state (with regard to Redmond), youpay no sales tax, and therefore, may be able to afford shipping. If you travel to Atlanta to pick it up, you pay local sales tax (7%), which works out to $97.65 in tax. Given the time, effort and GAS it takes to get to Atlanta, you may be better off having them ship it to you.

My brother was going to have them ship a Uni out to him in California, and it was about $300 to get it out there. I'm sure your shipping cost would not be more than $200.

And yes, the X series tools are American made. ......another reason to think about getting this one.
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro
    And yes, the X series tools are American made. ......another reason to think about getting this one.
    I have three Delta X series machines that I purchased earlier this year that are not made in the USA.

These are:

___16.5" Drill Press 17-990X

___8" Jointer (DJ-20) 37-365X

___15" Planer 22-785X

and they are all made in China.

By the way, I am happy with the quality of all these machines.