Thread: Walnut Island Top

Walnut Island Top

Walnut island countertop finished with Waterlox.

Thanks to those in the finishing forum that help answer my questions.

walnuttop1.jpgwalnuttop2.jpg

Shiny . Looks great!
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Yeah, that's stunning. I've got a couple things that I want to use Waterlox for. Any thoughts or tips on using the stuff?

That is a stunning addition to the kitchen. I love walnut.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J Lee View Post
    Yeah, that's stunning. I've got a couple things that I want to use Waterlox for. Any thoughts or tips on using the stuff?
    It was really pretty easy to use. I used the wipe on technique. http://www.hardwoodlumberandmore.com...n-Varnish.aspx

Looks perfect! Which Waterlox product did you use? OSF or High Gloss. If you used High Gloss, what was your thinning ratio. Also, how many coats did you have to put on. Your grain looks well filled. Must have taken a bunch of coats.

Very nice work Mike! How'd the chicken get in the house---that's what I'd call REAL free ranging.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Looks perfect! Which Waterlox product did you use? OSF or High Gloss. If you used High Gloss, what was your thinning ratio. Also, how many coats did you have to put on. Your grain looks well filled. Must have taken a bunch of coats.
    I used the OSF.

I filled the grain using Zinsser Sealcoat first. That was a lot of work. I applied 3 or 4 coats of the sealcoat and then sanded it back, which was difficult because it would gum up the sand paper. I then repeated the process and used a scraper to remove most of the shellac and then finished up with sand paper before applying the varnish.