Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Disappointed with Grobet USA Files

I'll say it again, while not perfect, the Mexican made Nicholsons are as good as it gets in my view. No one uses files harder or expect more from them than me. The files I sell on the VintageSaws.com website are first inspected by me before they are sold. I don't see many problems with the edges these days. Main problems are some of the 6" XS and 6" 2X Slim can be bowed (as in not straight). I'm seeing about a 5% defect rate. Those go in the crunk box to get sent back to APEX. They never question my returns. I had to do the same thing for the Swiss made files when Grobet still carried them. Getting the fine cross sections to stay straight when quenched is a challenge for any maker.

I just filed a Disston #12 late last week, a 10 point, and the edge held up just fine and the saw is razor sharp. I did like the US made Nicholson's better, but the Mexican made alternatives are a good substitute. If anyone needs any Nicholsons, stop by the site. Hope this adds to the discussion.

Pete; as someone who doesn't use a toothing machine to form and shape new saw teeth, edge retention on the file is of high importance. 3 years ago I purchased 3 boxes of Mexican Nicholson Taper Files based on the recommendations of others. The edge retention was pitiful. 3 edges of the file were required to form new teeth a 10 point Panel Saw. I had to a switch to a new file to complete the final sharpening phase. I have not used the remaining files since that experience and would not consider forwarding them on to any other unsuspecting buyer. Every one will have their own story to tell on the quality of saw sharpening files now being offered on todays market. The OPs experience with Grobet USA is just one of them.

regards Stewie;

The 3 boxes of Mexican Nicholson Taper Files I purchased 3yrs ago. The opened box still contains 10 new files.

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 04-19-2017 at 7:42 AM.

Stewart,

The reality is that I retooth very few saws, it's just too much work. Back in the old days I bought any saw that would be serviceable. Lately, I've been much more selective and only buy saws that are in mostly file ready shape. It's just not an effective use of time to cut new teeth, file in rake angle, set and then file in the fleam angle. Most are filed from existing teeth that are somewhat regular. All have messed up rake angles and the automatic filer I use cleans them up with a single, deliberate, heavy pass. This is 10 times more wear than a person can exert with their hands. With current Nicholson production, I have no problems at all completely filing a saw to perfect sharpness with a single edge.

Is the edge of the file trashed when I am done? Yes. Has it done it's job? Yes. Did I get more passes out of other brands using this same approach? No.

I think the folly of all this file talk business is that people think that files are meant to last forever. That is just not the case. They are hard pieces of metal that cut slightly softer plates of hard metal. They wear out quickly. They should not be expected to last forever, or even more than one saw per edge when used hard. Think of them like chewing gum, after they stop working, rotate to a new edge and keep going. When all three edges are shot, throw them out and use a new one.

If you are using a file to completely cut in new teeth from scratch, I think you are getting the kind of life I would expect. I've been filing saws since 1991. I've used Simonds, Bacho, Nicholson (old and new) Grobet and some brands I can no longer remember. They all had similar edge lasting properties. My complaint is that over the past 5 years, the files are not as straight as they should be. I have no complaints about their hardness or edge retention.

Finally, my customers seem to agree as they keep coming back for more. You can adopt the hoard the old stock approach, and use them like they are bars of gold, or you can realize it for what it is, something that is meant to wear and get thrown out and just get on with it.

As a side note, perhaps now that our new President has an America first philosophy, Apex may bring file production back to the US as opposed to pay the tariffs they are talking about. That would be great if it happened!

Happy Filing,

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Taran; 04-18-2017 at 8:59 PM.

I cut new teeth on a disston tenon saw I purchased. It was not too bad once set up with the jigs to get the spacing right for number of teeth I wanted. 12 per inch I think.
    I used a 3 sided diamond file to start the gullets in the beginning of cut. The file didn't jump around as much as a regular file does in the beginning.
    I got my files from Tools for working Wood, and Highland. Mexican Nicholson that held up well for my purposes.

Blog Entries
    I've never got anything from Tools for Working Wood that was bad. I't's all been quality.