Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Larger Harbor Freight Impeller

Bryan,

The jet engines you built weren't designed to swallow blocks of wood, screws and other things that might be inhaled by a DC, so it's a tradeoff. I do agree that the manufacturers have probably gone overboard, trading efficiency to ensure they aren't getting warranty repairs due to damaged impellers on a regular basis.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

An aspect of dust collection I'd never considered until Vaughn's post is the effect of altitude. Atmospheric pressure/density decreases faster than we flatlanders realize.

I am having a difficult time comprehending the idea of reversing the motor rotation. It seems to me that reversing the rotation is counter productive unless you also reverse the "directionality" of the output port. As it sits, the air moves clockwise and exits with the port in the path of the air. If the motor rotates counter-clockwise, the air is moving counter-clockwise and has to reverse course 180 degrees in order to get out of the box. I suppose an argument could be made for a mod that would only require a 90 degree change in direction, but I simply don't understand, and I want to understand. Could someone who advocates that concept explain to me how that would work?

You have to do both, swap sides with the fan and wheel, and spin the motor the opposite way.