Thread: How do you fix a lacquer sag or drip?

How do you fix a lacquer sag or drip?

Sprayed some birdhouse ornaments a little to much and have some sags. How do I get rid of them? Sanding or spray over them?
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

Me...I would just take some lacquer thinner and wipe off what you put on and start over. LOTS easier than sanding! And, spraying over them won't fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Me...I would just take some lacquer thinner and wipe off what you put on and start over. LOTS easier than sanding! And, spraying over them won't fix the problem.
    Well, if that is the easiest way to go about it guess I will pick up some tomorrow. Thanks.
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

Acetone will also work here, and don't ask how I know that!

A single edge razor blade makes a wonderful scraper for these after the run is fully hardened. If the run is big, you can cut it a little, then scrape, then sand. Personally, I don't like washing stuff down with lacquer thinner much anymore. Pretty sure I'm getting a little sensitive to those chemicals after 40 years of using them.

I keep a handfull of foam fingernail files on my bench for this. They are small, light ,flexible sanding blocks with a rough and fine side. Also I keep a rattlecan of laq. retarder handy. Usually a shot will burn in the sanding marks. A can of laq. and sanding sealer are also priceless for screwups.

+1 on scrape/cutting close to level with the rest of the finish, feathering it with a little sandpaper and applying more "light" :-) coats.

I use a sharp scraper blade and merely scrape away the high spot, sand lightly and recoat. Fix should be invisible. If you got a sag you were too close to your workpiece. I find spraying round pieces works best to have the piece moving and keep the gun still. I use a turntable made with a Lazy Susan bearing.
    faust

Quote Originally Posted by Faust M. Ruggiero View Post
    I use a sharp scraper blade and merely scrape away the high spot, sand lightly and recoat. Fix should be invisible. If you got a sag you were too close to your workpiece. I find spraying round pieces works best to have the piece moving and keep the gun still. I use a turntable made with a Lazy Susan bearing.
    faust
    I have some razor blades guess I could give it a try. The lacquer should be nice a hard by now. For spraying my birdhouses I use a long strand of thick gauge wire twisted the full length with a hook at the bottom and hang the birdhouse on the hook spin the wire in my fingers and spray the birdhouse as it spins. It works good except for when you get to close or stop spinning and try to hit that one little spot.......
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

Oh yea, Jack. I know just what you mean. I happen to be really good at fixing runs. Guess how I got so good.
    faust

I just worked on some lacquer sag yesterday. I cut a little off with a scalpel and razor blade and sanded the rest with 400 and 600 grit Abranet. The Abranet works great and clogs up a lot less than sandpaper. I got the Abranet after Faust recommended it a few months back. The nice thing about lacquer is that it is repairable!