Thread: Question re cutting compound mitres for crown moldings

Question re cutting compound mitres for crown moldings

I started this thread on behalf of Jerry Coble. As part of another thread Jerry just said"

I cant find a way to post a message without replying. Forgive me but I need help cutting compound miters for crown mouldings. I have the tools But havent figured the proper placement of the moulding to get the correct angle. Thanks , Jerry"

Jerry, there is a "New Thread" button near the top left of the Saw Mill Creek window.

I don't have an (electric) compound mitre saw so can't help you, but I am sure that other folks will.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 05-20-2005 at 11:29 PM.

Jerry - This site should answer your questions:

http://www.dewalt.com/us/articles/ar...odworking&ID=2

Here is another link
    http://www.issi1.com/corwin/crown.html

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    I don't have an (electric) compound mitre saw so can't help you, but I am sure that other folks will.
    The easiest way to cut crown is to lay it against the fence....the fence is the wall and the table is the ceiling. No need for a compound miter cut....just a standard miter cut now. You do need to keep track of the orientation since right is really left and left is really right....or was it left is right and right is left? No. no. left is left. no....oh, just go to the darn website's other's have linked .

Given the above, you only need a miter saw, electric or not.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

I use a miter saw for my crown molding, but I don't do compound cuts.

I actually think of it the other way around. The table is the wall and the fence is the ceiling. Just hold the crown "flat" against the table and wedged against the fence. This way you you don't have to think backwards. The left side is the left peice, the right side is the right peice

As you can see there are many ways to skin this cat.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Jeff, if you do it your way you have to set the bevel to 45 not the miter.

Richard

OK...here's how to cut crown the easy way. First....you have to cut it upside down on the mitersaw with a somewhat tall fence so that you can get the two mating surfaces to seat...then you set the miter degree to 45* either way for both inside and outside miters. There's now easier way to cut crown...period.

Messing with cutting it flat on the table requires strange angles of bevel...you know....those without detents

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf
    Jeff, if you do it your way you have to set the bevel to 45 not the miter.

Richard
    Richard,

You sure do! I just can never remember how to tell them apart. I can do it, just can't explain it in words.

I have the tall fences on my saw, but me thinking backwards doesn't work so well!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Upside down is the easiest once you get the hang of it. I like to set up a jig (or track really) to consistently hold the crown the same way every cut. If the crown you want is too tall for this method, consider two stages to get what you want, or buy a smaller crown using the same angles and do cut some test pieces for the corners you will be doing, then use those to set your compound and bevel miters. In all cases, I find it easier to cope all inside corners. This may sound like more work, but once you get the hang of it it will save incredible amounts of time and work after the fact because you wont have to fill or caulk the inevitable gap that shows on even the most meticulously cut inside miter, due to walls never being perfect. It also speeds up much of the job because half of the crown can be square cut (butted) wall to wall. Then do all outside corners, and finish with the cope cuts.

Forgot to tell you that Rockler has a crown molding jig that works great, I think it's $20.