Thread: Ordering from Grizzly?

Ordering from Grizzly?

My friend wants to order a metal mill from Grizzly but his house is not accessible by freight truck. How does that work?

I would call Grizzly customer service and ask them.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I would call Grizzly customer service and ask them.
    +1

Grizzly uses UPS. UPS uses semi's with 40' trailers for delivery, and for pick up of big items. Let us know if you find out anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    +1

Grizzly uses UPS. UPS uses semi's with 40' trailers for delivery, and for pick up of big items. Let us know if you find out anything else.
    Grizzly uses several trucking companies. It varies by region. They'll likely allow it to be shipped wherever you want it delivered if it's within the contiguous USA.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    Grizzly uses several trucking companies. It varies by region. They'll likely allow it to be shipped wherever you want it delivered if it's within the contiguous USA.
    I guess I should have said, "I was given no option except UPS and a 40' trailer".

The trucking company calls me when I have a shipment and asks if a freight truck can get down my road; apparently "County Road 11" is not promising.
    I imagine they use a small truck for the delivery when it is necessary.

Find out who they use and call them directly. I was told that my table saw would be delivered curbside by a smaller truck, UPS I think. My problem was that I have a long steep drive. The delivery company told me that even though it says curbside, they would drive up into the drive and unload it at the garage. I knew before hand there was no way they could fit. I made arrangements to pick it up from the shipping terminal locally. Just rented a uhaul trailer and they fork lifted it into the trailer for me. They will tell you how many boxes it will come in. You could probably manage that way. One word of caution. Inspect the boxes upon delivery and make the shipping company notate any damage. Mine had box damage but no damage to the contents. My brother in law had damage and had it not been notated on delivery, they might not have covered it. Know how you are going to do it so you know if you need lift gate charges or not.

Your friend takes his truck and trailer to the freight depot and a fork truck loads the tool on a pallet in the bed or on a trailer and he signs a sheet and is on his way. When he gets home he gets out his tractor.loader and easy peasy.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Hire a local towing company to go to the terminal and pick it up with a roll back bed truck. He backs up to the garage, rolls back the bed and uses the winch to let it slide to the ground. No problems at all, just an added expense to building where access is limited.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    Agree. All my Griz stuff has come FedEx Freight. Some full-blown semi-trailer, some on bob-tails with lift-gates. The driver who delivered my jointer was an artist. He pulled onto my winding little suburban street with a 50 footer. Pulled the jointer out onto the lift with a pallet jack, backed the rear of the trailer right up my short 20+degree driveway and lowered the liftgate right to my shop floor. Pretty darn impressive.

Your friend may want to arrange to pick it up at the dock. If he doesn't have a suitable vehicle, he may want to arrange for local last-mile service. Piano movers have helped more than one member here with last-mile or up/down stairs service.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-18-2013 at 2:45 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Hire a local towing company to go to the terminal and pick it up with a roll back bed truck. He backs up to the garage, rolls back the bed and uses the winch to let it slide to the ground. No problems at all, just an added expense to building where access is limited.
    +1, I've done this 4 times and it work out great.
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

Have them deliver it to a local business address that normally recieves frieght. Then get a small U-Haul trailer and take it home from there. Have them set it on a shop cart (Menarads $15) and roll it off the trailer at your shop.

He called them today and got the scoop. I told him to just order it and we will get it to his house LOL!!!

Thanks for the replies!!!