Thread: Life's a Beech

Life's a Beech

I finally had a chance to sneak in some shop time. It's been over a week since I've turned anything, so I just needed a quick little turning fix.
    I started looking for a blank to turn, just wanted something on the smaller side so I could put a gouge to wood and get it turned, sanded and finished in a couple hours. What I found was what I think is the 2nd half of a beech spindle blank that I got from Baxter Smith last year in San Jose.

I went with a small hollow form with some branding and gesso. It's 4 3/4" x 3 1/2" and finished with antique oil.
    PICT0001.JPGPICT0002.JPGPICT0003.JPG
    Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Very nice work Kathy. I love the contrast.

JoAnn Duggan

Nice work, I like the shape.
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

4. Nice Kathy, the wood looks quite nice by itself, but your pyro and branding really set it off, maybe I would like the band not quite so wide to accent the nice curves of your form. I always enjoy seeing your work.

Very nice Kathy. Love the contrast. Did you do anything to seal the gesso before applying the AO?

Just another perfectly executed form. You certainly have mastered the branding with black gesso look, and it does look superb.

7. That is a nice piece of work Kathy! You seem to have that "branding" down to a science!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by jwjerry w kowalski View Post
    Nice Kathy, the wood looks quite nice by itself, but your pyro and branding really set it off, maybe I would like the band not quite so wide to accent the nice curves of your form. I always enjoy seeing your work.
    I agree, the band could have been narrower, but it didn't seem so wide when I was cutting the grooves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Just View Post
    Very nice Kathy. Love the contrast. Did you do anything to seal the gesso before applying the AO?
    No need to seal the gesso, it dries hard so the AO doesn't have any affect on it but to give it a little shine.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Nice work. Is beech hard to work with? I heard it cracks very easily.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Kathy, I am amazed that any of that beech has been able to survive almost a year in the desert! Although I like the branding and the ghesso, something seems a bit off in proportion (or perhaps its just out of the norm for me on this one). Neck too tall, band too wide, placement of band too high, proportions in heights of various elements... I am not sure which. For some reason it just doesn't have the same gracefulness to me that your others do.