Thread: Hall Bench

Hall Bench

Here is a picyure of the Hall Bench that I made for my daughter and son in law for Christmas. The frame is made of rift sawn White Oak. The bench panels are made of White oak from a barn beam that we salvaged from my father in laws barn. The back panels are flat sawn red oak plywood because I didnt feel like driving 60 miles one way for some flat sawn White Oak plywood. BarryBarry Wines Bench 2013.jpg

Excellent job on design and finish. A couple of different varieties of oak and they all look the same! Would've never known if you hadn't said anything.

Really great looking!

Is it from a commercial plan?

It is somewhat based on a picture of one I saw on one of the woodworking sites. There was no plan or dimensions. my daughter and son in law asked for a bench for their breezeway so that they would have a place to take off boots,hang their coats and parkas and have a box to store hats,mittins and other winter gear. It is sized to fit the wall behind it. It is 4' wide . The bench/box is 18" tall and the overall height is I forget off hand but I think about 6'. The shelf is an added request from the kids and I'm glad because it gives it more interest. The corners are 7/8",the rails are 3/4" ,the stiles are 5/8" and the panels are 1/2". This is something that I did on a blanket chest and liked the depth that it gives to the box.

Blog Entries
    That is great. I wish I had a spot for one of those. Very nice piece.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Looks Great! I have always wanted to build one.
    Michael and Sally Pfau
    Grant Creek Woodworks
    Missoula Montana
    www.grantcreekwoodworks.com

Nice, I'm sure she will treasure this always.

Very nice. I like your attention to the details in coordinating the grain pattern on all of the lower panels. That extra touch really ties it together.

Looks nice!

Are you in an earthquake zone?

No we are not in a earthquake zone but decided that with the height of the back panel above the bench,the weight of coats and whatever might be placed on the shelf such as plants and the posibility of a kid hanging onto a coat putting a couple of lags into the bricks at the top seemed like cheap insurance. I think that is what you are refering to. Barry

Looks great, Barry! Well done. I would love to have a piece like that in our mud room, just no space.

Really nice piece, Barry!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...