Thread: Dust collector question

Dust collector question

I just moved and am in the process of setting up my new shop. I have a PennState Tempest cyclone collector. It has the 7' bag filter.
    I use a trash can to collect the dust/chips. In my old shop, half the time my filter bag would end up with about a foot of dust in it because of my laziness/forgetfulness.
    My question is, can I just eliminate the bag and vent it outside? Isn't the filter just make up air anyway. In Texas I usually have the overhead door open just about year round, when I'm out there. Plus, my shop leaks enough, so Im not gonna run out of air! I live in a rural location and I'm sure the cows won't mind.
    Will it hurt the motor or cause a loss of suction?

Venting outside will increase cfm. Just check the amp draw with a bunch of open gates to be sure you don't overamp the motor when taking off the filter. Even if that is the case you can just not open as many gates and you will be fine. Dave

well the cows might mind (even if they don't complain) if they are close enough to the exhaust - remember it is the micron sized particles that are the real biological hazard and that is what the final filters are there to capture. If your exhaust is upwind of a large field probably a good idea if it is upwind of your outdoor pool or dining area maybe not so good.

I'm considering running a pipe so I can direct my cyclone outside when the weather is nice, like now, and just use the filter during the winter and when the heat is on during the summer. Last years heat was hard to take, I had a project going when we had the heat wave on when it reached 114 several days. Thank the lord for AC.