Thread: Tiger Maple Mantle Clock

Tiger Maple Mantle Clock

I made this for my son & daughter-in-law as a house warming present.

It's made from a single billet of tiger maple. The two sides are actually bookmatched. I based it on the design in the October 2012 Issue of Wood magazine, although I did tweek it a bit to make it my own.

My first step in finishing was to apply a soaking coat of 1 part BLO thinned 2 parts mineral spirits. That really soaked in and brought out the grain. I waited 24 hours then applied a coat of Behlen Pure Tung Oil. After 24 hours I buffed it lightly with a fine pad and removed any dust before applying another coat of Tung Oil. I repeated this until I had applied 5 coats of Tung Oil. Then I allowed the clock to sit for 2 full weeks to cure. And finally I applied 3 coats of Black Bison (natural color) paste wax, buffing each time with a waxing brush (both drill operated and manual).

These are in progress photos:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Stew Hagerty; 05-20-2013 at 5:45 PM. Reason: Wrong Photos
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Stew Hagerty

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Stew, that turned out great. I love the figure in the maple!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Nice project and pretty wood well executed.

Blog Entries
    Creative design!!

The details turned out really great! I found it too simple but you did a great job on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus Dundon View Post
    The details turned out really great! I found it too simple but you did a great job on that.
    It's my first clock. Besides I needed it to be kind of neutral so that it will go with whatever decor my daughter-in-law has at any given time. She inherited a "redecorator gene" from her mother. So only things that can go with a wide variety of decors stand any chance for longevity.

Stew Hagerty

Looks great Stew, figured maple is so much fun to do projects with. I like the bowties and the top is really nice! Did you bevel the top on the tablesaw?
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Nice job, great wood !!
    MARK

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Looks great Stew, figured maple is so much fun to do projects with. I like the bowties and the top is really nice! Did you bevel the top on the tablesaw?
    I took off the bulk of the bevel using the table saw, but I finished it using a Veritas low angle block plane with a 50 degree blade which nets out to a 62 degree angle of attack. It's the first time I've had the opportunity to use the high angle blade and it really worked very well. Although, I certainly wouldn't want to use any plane larger than this with that high of an angle. I tell you... I love that plane with any blade. When I bought it, I went all the way. In addition to the 50 degree blade and the standard 25 degree blade, I also got the toothing blade as well as the large tote and knob. Next to my type 11 #4, I probably use it more than any other plane.

Stew Hagerty

Very nice job on the clock