Thread: Garage Door Router Bits

Garage Door Router Bits

I need to replace the bottom rail and some of the stiles on my wooden garage doors. I have found the Freud entry door router bit set: 99-267, but at >$200, hoping there are some less expensive options, since hopefully only a one time job!

Any suggestions?

This is a lower garage door segment? You can make doors with just a matched set of cove and round over bits , say 1/2" if you want to save money. If you use loose tenons, your cutters don't have to be complicated. I believe that MLCS actually has you glue up the joint without tenons, then dowel the joints with huge dowels after it's dried. That seems pretty easy and cheap, and should be plenty strong enough for a garage door segment.

david, thanks. lower segment of a three segment door, but also have two other identical doors, so need to match. I am using the panels and on one door just need to replace the bottom rail and one stile, so can't start mixing as the wife would not accept it. unfortunately i still have to live with her!

James,

You might check to see if (no slight intended) "tier 2" vendors selling Chinese knock-offs have something that will work..

Or see if a local cabinet shop has the Freuds and offer them some beer to make a few cuts for you?

If you have a large collection of router bits you could probably make up the cut with multiple passes of different profile bits.

If you have a set of molding planes with the correct profiles you could make them.

Otherwise you pays your money and takes your chances! :-)
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Blog Entries
    Can you post the profile (approximate would do). I bet something can be worked out.