Thread: Need Simple Bench Plans....

Need Simple Bench Plans....

My daughter wants a bench for the entry of her new, first condo and has asked if I can make one for her. I want something simple and relatively easy to build. Maybe something shaker or mission style and with a back? I know she likes that old, used look. I'm going to have to use pine or a really cheap hardwood to hold the cost down. I wish I were more connected up here in NorCal, so I could get hooked up with some old, reclaimed barn wood.
    I looked on the NYWorkshop site and saw Norm's English Garden Bench, which is cool, but as I recall, it has lots of angles and angled mortise and tenons and I think that will take me a while to do, so I'd like to get a little simpler than that, if possible. Anyhow, any suggestions would be helpful.

Derek, since you are looking at the NYW site for plans, search on "settle" and see if that strikes your fancy. There are plans for 2 types.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    .....I'm going to have to use pine or a really cheap hardwood to hold the cost down....
    Don't underestimate the power of poplar and a good stain. Poor man's cherry. Poor man's mahogany. Poor man's walnut. Take your pick. It's fairly easy to get any look you want.

Try here: http://www.freewoodworkingplan.com/i...?search=deacon

or here: http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/r...deacon%20bench

There are a variety of styles and construction methods featured in those plans - pick the one you like and adapt it to your specific needs.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    Don't underestimate the power of poplar and a good stain. Poor man's cherry. Poor man's mahogany. Poor man's walnut. Take your pick. It's fairly easy to get any look you want.
    Poplar! I always forget about poplar. That may be it. thanks!