Thread: Sawstop miter gauge

Sawstop miter gauge

First off, let me say that even though I have only had my sawstop for a few weeks and made just a few cuts that I am extremely pleased with its fit, finish and operation. I am however a bit disappointed with the included miter gauge.

It is light and does not seem to hold its position even when tightened down extremely hard. I am not sure if I have a bad one (the weight obviously won't change since it is cast aluminum) or if they are all built insufficiency. The miter gauge that came with my grizzly 1023z was superior to this one in every way...just seems strange that to upgrade my saw I had to downgrade my miter gauge.

Has anyone here taken issue with the quality of the miter gauge relative to the rest of the saw or do most folks already have an aftermarket type like the Incra products thus rendering the included miter gauge moot?

thx

Not sure if we have the same since I bought mine in 2007, but I felt it was only avg/high-avg quality, whereas the rest of the saw was top notch. I never had a problem with it not holding position, it just didn't offer the precision or width I was looking for. That being said, it was all I really expected to get on any table saw. I ended up getting an incra for the sawstop, putting the sawstop one on the bandsaw (upgrade for that) and putting the bandsaw one on the edge sander (upgrade for that too).

I've never seen a decent miter gauge come with a saw, the SS included. I don't even know why they include one with the saw.

Mine was better than the one on my Dewalt, but certainly inferior to An incra gauge or other aftermarket gauge. However, mine does hold the position well and works fine for quick cuts that dont need to be dead on. I also agree that it is overall inferior to the rest of the quality of the machine, as is the wooden face to the fence.

I have owned several table saws and none of them came with what I considered to be an adequate miter gauge. I always build sleds for 45 and 90 degree cuts and use an Incra gauge for other angles. Even if you have a top notch miter gauge, a sled is far superior for many applications.

You just got a bad one; mine holds position fine. I use it on my router table. That being said, it doesn't hold a candle to some of the aftermarket gauges.

Mine won't hold position either. I gave up on it a long time ago. I now use this...
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...080,51225&ap=1

I can't see why the major saw manufacturers all give you this borderline functional miter gage either. Maybe they all expect you to buy a quality one and give you one to get by until you do.

I git an Incra V27 from Amazon. They are 52 bucks now. I got mine a while ago for 40 bucks. Good, cheap, much better than the stock SS gage. Congrats on the saw. It's a good saw.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I have never seen a good quality OEM miter gage. You should see the on that came with my MM16! It's suitable (barely) for use with my belt/disk sander but that's about it. I have an Incra miter gage for the table saw that is extremely accurate.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Same story here. I use a kreg miter gauge that I'm happy with.

Blog Entries
    Mine is setting safely in a drawer as I use an Incra. A quality miter gauge will really change the way you do things.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

It's an Ok gauge but I bought an Incra. Expecting a good quality miter gauge is like expecting a saw to come with a good quality blade (never have seen any).

I haven't even used the one I got with my SS. I use a Jessem sliding table for staight cuts and an incra miter gauge for most angled cuts. At least SS provides a place to put it on the saw so it is not in the way.

Looks like I am going to need to find a deal on an incra miter gauge...

thx.