Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any updates on the Veritas shooting board plane?

Any updates on the Veritas shooting board plane?

I thought it best to check to see if anyone has heard of any progress on the Veritas shooting board plane. Timeline? Features? I'm ready to buy a Lie-Nielsen 51 but thought it best to see what anyone had read or heard lately of the unofficially announced Veritas. I might be able to wait........... might.

Thanks in advance,

Scott in Montana

Blog Entries
    Searching the old threads on this > shooting plane rob lee < I see nothing offering a timeline for expected delivery for this product. All of the threads were not read. I seem to recall something said about it being projected for late this year. That could be totally my imagination.

Do you have a lot of work requiring a shooting plane?

The comments from what was searched suggest it will be sold without the shooting base (equivalent to the Stanley #52).

Before the LN #51 reproduction came on the scene my solution was to buy the LN #62 with a hot dog. I have been happy ever since.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

They're probably too busy watching the senators right now to move anything along. It seems like every time around this year, it comes down to good (penguins) vs. evil (senators).

OK, I say that in jest. Evil is really the capitals and the flyers and their respective fans.

I use my shooting boards a lot...

I use my shooting boards a lot. I am currently using a Veritas low angle jack plane and have few complaints. I think I'm wanting a more comfortable grip and more inertia from a bit more mass. And maybe more honestly I'm wanting a new toy. Boys will be boys....

Scott in Montana

I wouldn't hold my breath. IIRC that last time Rob talked about it he couldn't give an estimated date or say much of anything about it, which usually means its still in prototyping. I could be totally off, but I'd venture to guess its still a good year away (total guess though) As always, they have a number of things in the works and while I have no idea where this thing is in the queue, my guess is that if some other projects are ahead of it it's going to be a while.

Rob checks in here fairly regularly. He'll probably pop by to give you some information, even if its only to say he can't give a date and its going to be a while. Then again, he may say it coming soon, you never no with them, they can move pretty fast on things sometimes.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 05-22-2013 at 3:13 PM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Stafford View Post
    I use my shooting boards a lot. I am currently using a Veritas low angle jack plane and have few complaints. I think I'm wanting a more comfortable grip and more inertia from a bit more mass. And maybe more honestly I'm wanting a new toy. Boys will be boys....

Scott in Montana
    Wanting new toys is the best reason if the wife allows.

Have you tried making a 'hot dog' grip for your plane?

Derek Cohen has the making of one listed on his site, inthewoodshop.com

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Rob Lee mentioned September for a possible unveiling on another forum.....but this could just be the prototype and not the ready to be manufactured item.

Blog Entries

Scott in Montana
    Shop made hot dog changed my comfort and confidence levels with my LV LAJ.

hotDogTote 3.jpg . hot dog slot-finish 009.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'm so weak....

I made a hot dog grip for my Veritas plane, and you're right it was much better. But then I tried a LN #51 at a trade show when they first came out. I remember it being a significant difference. Could have been the weight, could have been the skewed blade, could have been the hand position; most likely it was all of it together.

Anyhow.......... here I sat looking at Craftsman's Studio website. Called Bill at Craftsman's Studio, who always gives such great service, and wouldn't you know it... he even had the cocobolo knob and tote in stock.

I caved in. I couldn't help myself.

It should be here Friday.

Thanks for all the input.

Scott in Montana

Did I say knob and tote? No knob..... sheesh!

Scott in Montana

Congratulations Scott !!.....I too am desiring a 51 but am waiting on LV to, at least, show their hand.....the LN 51 will be hard to beat and sometimes the heart wants what the heart wants. Please show some pics and impressions after you get your plane.

Hi,

The castings just arrived this week, and we start cutting metal soon. Deciding to make a LH version delayed us a bit, but still on track for Sept. delivery.

Do have another plane in production right now.. But will wait for some else to post details first....don't want to ruin any surprises for those attending Handworks in Amana.........

Cheers,

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi,

The castings just arrived this week, and we start cutting metal soon. Deciding to make a LH version delayed us a bit, but still on track for Sept. delivery.

Do have another plane in production right now.. But will wait for some else to post details first....don't want to ruin any surprises for those attending Handworks in Amana.........

Cheers,

Rob
    Excellent!
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Grrrrrrr......

Well, at least I won't take much of a beating if I decide to sell the LN #51 and buy the Veritas plane. That's the nice thing about buying from either of these high quality manufacturers.

I wouldn't have been able to hold out until September anyhow. I would have squandered the money by then. Again........... boys will be boys!

Thanks for all the input.

Scott in Montana

PS New plane from Veritas????!!!!!! I better start saving.

(Snip)

PS New plane from Veritas????!!!!!! I better start saving.

Shouldn't take long to save, I believe this one is around $100 .....

I believe there are seven more after that though.....

Cheers,

Rob
    (Hangin' at O'Hare....)