Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any updates on the Veritas shooting board plane?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Stafford View Post
    Sadly I only had time to open the box. Won't get to a chance to tune the blade and try it until tomorrow. It's torture.

Scott in Montana

Attachment 263051
    It's a no wonder the price tag on this beauty. There must be close to 8 man hours in packing that thing up.

I personally would love to own this plane but it's just too far outta my price range for such a dedicated tool.

I tried the LN 51 at the last hand tool event. That's one heavy and fine tool.

It DO look nice!! Just for fun,I'd like to make a shooting plane and board out of some of the 1/2" bronze plate I have been sitting on for decades. It is a deep gold color,and tough as blazes (salt water resistant Navy roll) I have no use for such a rig,though,but it would be cool. Just energy keeps things from happening.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    It DO look nice!! Just for fun,I'd like to make a shooting plane and board out of some of the 1/2" bronze plate I have been sitting on for decades. It is a deep gold color,and tough as blazes (salt water resistant Navy roll) I have no use for such a rig,though,but it would be cool. Just energy keeps things from happening.
    George, as my wife says, I don't know much... but one thing I do know is "if you build it, they will come" You could sell that thing for $$$$ for sure. -Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    H

Do have another plane in production right now.. But will wait for some else to post details first....don't want to ruin any surprises for those attending Handworks in Amana.........

Cheers,

Rob
    Who can tell us what this is?!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Cady View Post
    Who can tell us what this is?!
    Over on WoodNET there is a pic of a Veritas Chisel Plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Pedisich View Post
    Over on WoodNET there is a pic of a Veritas Chisel Plane.
    yeah but there are going to be 7 more?!

The $99 plane is a chisel plane. I handled a 3D printed prototype of the shooting board plane at Amana. Pretty sweet. I think they said it would be in the $300 range.

The 3d prototype shooting plane was cool. it had a couple set screws in the bottom to help dial in true 90.
    It was neat meeting Rob Lee in person too.
    Good, Better, Best never let it rest
    until your Good is Better and your Better is Best

Member of M-WTCA Area D

The shooting board plane prototype was nice. It also features an adjustable angle handle. There were a other small tools that were introduced at Handworks. Rob showed me two awls with replaceable tips and said they had some more items in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi,

The castings just arrived this week, and we start cutting metal soon. Deciding to make a LH version delayed us a bit, but still on track for Sept. delivery.

Do have another plane in production right now.. But will wait for some else to post details first....don't want to ruin any surprises for those attending Handworks in Amana.........

Cheers,

Rob
    So Handworks is come and gone - anyone got any pictures or info on what LV had to share?
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Simmons View Post
    The $99 plane is a chisel plane. I handled a 3D printed prototype of the shooting board plane at Amana. Pretty sweet. I think they said it would be in the $300 range.
    Not that I have need for such a thing (or would even buy it given the lack of need), but that's a welcome relief from the $500 stanley and stanley style planes that are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Have you tried making a 'hot dog' grip for your plane?
    I've looked at Derek's site but I still don't see how it attaches to the plane body. Do you tap a hole in the side or what?

Thanks.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    I've looked at Derek's site but I still don't see how it attaches to the plane body. Do you tap a hole in the side or what?

Thanks.
    In his second build he taps a hole before cutting the shape. There is a set screw in the side of the hot dog to hold it in place. Not sure if it might be a nylon, or other plastic, set screw.

Here is my journey through making a hot dog to use with a plane on a shooting board:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...01#post1315201

100_2218.jpg

100_2219.jpg

This handle doesn't have any attachment hardware. It stays in place well throughout usage and then just slips off for storage. One minor problem with a fixed hot dog is it is sometimes inconvenient when the plane needs to be used for some other task.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Jim, I will look at this.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"