Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet vs Grizzly 6" jointers

Jet vs Grizzly 6" jointers

What is the difference between these two 6" jointers?

Jet .. Grizzly

http://jettools-online.com/woodworki...et-knives.html

http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-Jointer/G0452

I see on the JET a longer bed and 1200 RPM more cutter head

I am trying to understand such a pricing difference, and the reason is someone has a used JET for sale. It is this same 6" but a with dolly great shape for $400.00. Grizzly even has a model that is $445.00. I understand the quick change blades on the jet are nice. Before I pass on this jet I want to make sure I am comparing apples to apples. In my mind I am thinking just get a NEW Grizzly for the money.

Jet machines are usually a bit more refined than comparable Grizzly machines, although the gap between them seems less on newer machines. Most likely the Jet is Taiwanese, whereas the Grizzly is Chinese. Personally, I would get the Jet in a heartbeat before the Grizzly. The longer table is a very big deal. So is the fact that you don't have to pay shipping. You also don't have to scrape off the cosmoline and assemble the Jet. For my money, buying a used machine without problems is less of a gamble than buying a new machine and relying on the warranty to work out the bugs.

I would take any used jointer that I could personally look over, put a straight edge on and check the tables for flat and co planar even if it was priced higher. The table length and quality of grind are really big deals. Dave

WOW, I should have ask this a few days ago as I have been searching the net to see reviews etc. This is NOT what I expected the replies to be. I am excited to see what other replies I get, for or against.

Blog Entries
    I have Grizzly and Jet tools and they seem about equal in fit and finish. The Grizzly's do have a more refined grind on the cast iron surfaces and offer more power on some similar platforms. Jet is just extremely proud of their heritage and it shows in their pricing; hey, if people will pay it . . .

I would agree that the longer tables are important. The quick change knives would be the deal-maker for me, all other things being equal. I've left knifed machines behind but, the sting of knife changing remains . You could also factor in that many folks who buy 6" jointers sell them within a short time of purchase in order to upgrade to an 8" or larger so . . .

I would lean toward the Jet in this comparison although I would never pay Jet's retail price for that jointer. If a 6" will do what you need I would be all over that Jet before someone else is.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-22-2013 at 5:44 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I just looked at the pictures again and it is made in China, it also is a white one. I am not sure of the age, I have the ser# if there is a place online to run it and see the age that way.

I've owned a older Taiwanese model of the Jet and it was a work horse, well machined, very smooth and gave consistent results.
    Look at the used market, mine was very clean with HTC mobil base, sold for $275
    Mac

I have the Go564 6" Jointer and it works well. I had to assemble it but it was clean and easy to do.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

The worst machine I bought so far was the Jet 6" jointer. I purchased it in late 2001. The first thing that happen was the fence lock broke. I am not a very big guy so I knew it wasnt my brute strenght. It was a very poorly designed piece as it had hardly no cross sectional area where it broke. The replacement piece was 12 to 16 week delivery. I designed my own by changing this part and the mating part design - I am an mechanical engineer so this was like my day job. I had a machine shop make the two pieces and was up and running in 2 days.

I have not been able to get rid of the vibration that causes chatter on the jointed faces and edges. I put on a segmented belt and reset the knives. I think either the motor sheave, cutting head sheave or cutting head is out of balance. I have a freind that knows how to balance, so maybe that is in my future.

The only other Jet I have is a 1642 lathe. I thought long and hard before I bought that one. I did have the opportunity to look at and turn on one before I bought mine.

I have a Grizzly G1023 tablesaw and love it. I dont know what Jointer I would buy at this point, but it would not be a Jet.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

When the Jet was made in Taiwan, it was made in the same factory as the Grizzly 6" 1182 models and were very similar on many fronts....the same factory also made the Sunhill, Bridgewood, Woodtek, GI, and others. Wood Mag actually rated the G1182 above the Jet in 2001, due in part to extra points for better pricing. With that said, for the price of a 6" Jet, you can buy an 8" Grizzly. Every model is a little different, but overall I haven't noticed much quality difference between these two brands....they both Asian made imports. Jet's pricing includes dealer markup that Grizzly does not.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I have several JET tools, including a 6" jointer, and LOVE them. They are my brand of choice.

I tried a couple small items from grizzly several years ago and found their customer service unsatisfactory. Granted, many others think well of them. But my experience was negative so I havent tried their large machines.

I watch for sales and closeouts and get pretty good deals on JET. Seems to offset their proudness premium.

Fred

LOL Ok this is more what I assumed I would get the ole Chevy / Ford debate ... Guess I now have to decide for myself.. Thanks!!! Jerry

I have a Grizzly G0452Z 6 inch joiner. The difference is it comes with Grizzly's version of helical head blades. Fit and finish are very nice. Cut quality (I use mostly highly figured wood) is excellent. Only issue is with dust collection. A lot of the chips come along the table rather than going into the lower dust collection area. For the price I would take it over the Jet anytime. I have had Jet and Grizzly tools and find very little quality difference between the two. In fact, my Grizzly cabinet saw is much better than the Jet cabinet saw I used to have.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My father has the jet your looking at (708457DXK) and he likes my grizzly (G0604X) better. Every time he is over hr kicks himself, because my machine is quieter, more powerful (1-1/2 HP), and Easier to set up parallelogram. I picked it up cheap to $525 about 4 years ago directly from Grizzly via it's eBay defect store. The marked it down because it had some paint defects. I've been half tempted to pick up the byrd head for it that runs about $300.
    -Dan

Thanks for the new posts here with the info and Dan that info about your father is great to know. Let toss in something new, I just found a grizzly 8" also on CL its apx 15 years old org owner. I talked to the owner and he will email me pictures he stated it had hardly been used. He did say their might be a nick in one of the knifes. His LISTED asking price, is 500.00 Since I have not seen any pics I have not tried to get him down yet ...... Thoughts?????????????????????????????
    Last edited by Jerry Toschlog; 05-23-2013 at 4:13 PM.