Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parks planer refurb

Parks planer refurb

Can anyone help me figure out how to remove this gear?

got this old planer off of CL and I was going to refurb it. Its actually in good condition, I really just want to take it apart and put it back together.

Disassembly comes down to the removal of this gear which allows everything else to come off. I removed the set screw and have been beating on it with various tools and it will not budge.

DON'T beat on it, Bill.
    There's 2 possibilities. A burr caused by the set screw ... or rust between the shaft and the gear.
    You'll need at the minimum: a gear puller and some rust penetrating lubricant.
    Get some penetrating lubricant ... tip the machine on it's side as-far-as-you-can ... to get a little gravity assist to get the liquid around-and-into the joint.
    Apply the penetrating oil ... let it sit for at least an hour.
    Apply the gear puller.

I agree it is probably a burr. You might try tapping the gear back onto the shaft to expose the outboard end (gently, use a block of wood and tap on the wood, not the gear). Then file down any burrs on the end of the shaft.

I also agree: don't beat on it. The aluminum housing might crack and you really don't want that to happen!

I agree, do not beat on it, use a gear puller. It might also help to apply a little heat to the gear hub using a propane torch. Be cautious of any flammable liquids/oils nearby.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Bill,

It has been a couple of years since I rebuilt my old Parks, but I don't remember that gear giving me trouble. However, if I remember correctly, the gearbox hangs off the end of the cutterhead, so couldn't you disassemble the remainder of the gears and then drop the gearbox from under this gear/shaft? It doesn't seem to be connected to anything else. That would allow you to use a puller to remove it. If I'm wrong on disassembly order, read on.

The advice is good so far, but I would add: file down the exposed burrs (and there are some to the left) to the point the gear will slide easily further onto the shaft. Then with more of the shaft end exposed, file down what is remaining, including any possible mushrooming on the end. It looks like you should be able to get the gear far enough onto the shaft to expose the entire end section.

When it's time to remove the gear, Kroil has always worked well for me for penetrating oil (also put a drop or two in the set screw hole). Give the gear a few light taps around its circumference to ensure it's not cocked/bound. To apply even pressure in tight places like that (It doesn't look like you have enough space to get a gear puller on there), I've used ball joint forks in the past. And if it shows signs of moving but is still tight, I've split a steel bushing (or even PVC pipe) down its length to get it around the shaft to take up space between the stubborn gear and a lever point -- in this case, the roll bearing on the left. If you can support behind that roll bearing sufficiently, use the fork or a couple of slotted screwdrivers between the split bushing and the gear to lever it off. Ok, I just reread that -- it sounds complicated, so let me know and I'll draw a diagram if need be.

Good luck with it.

Bill
    Check for a second set screw in the same hole, was used to lock first screw in place. Also check out OWWM lots good info there. Tom

Bill, what if, in addition to the Kroil (or penetrant of your choice...) that others have suggested, you put the whole feed roller shaft into the freezer for a couple of hours? Then, use the three-jaw puller on it? That's worked for me in the past.

Good luck.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Or if it ain't broke don't fix it.

John

The issue is that the gear prevents the housing from being removed and a gear puller wont fit into the opening. Maybe if there were a right angle gear puller? I may have to fabricate something.

Don't use a little heat, use a lot of heat and it will come right off. I don't even bother with so called penetrating oils or even brute force anymore. Heat is always the answer and there is rarely a situation where a little more heat is a bad thing

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    Don't use a little heat, use a lot of heat and it will come right off. I don't even bother with so called penetrating oils or even brute force anymore. Heat is always the answer and there is rarely a situation where a little more heat is a bad thing
    Exactly what I was going to recommend. Just make sure there are no parts that can be damaged by the heat. Heat ALWAYS seems to get things moving and off for me the torch is your friend in this case as long as you can use it safely without damaging other things.

If heat is used you do have to be careful that you do not soften the metal shaft or gear. Some parts, although not hardened like a chisel or file, they do have a level of hardness to maintain their life span of the gear teath and the surface of the shaft for a keyway or set screw. Also check if the gear is cast as oposed to machined steel. Cast can crack if heated/cooled to fast or uneven presure is applied. If the gear/shaft need to be separated, Why is the gear box sloted? I would find out more and check out the Vintage Machinery Web site for more information. Time spent now could save hours of work and/or frustration later.
    My 2 Cents.

I got a pair of vise grips around the collar part of the gear and got it spinning on the shaft. Eventually it came of. I'm having this problem with just about every collar and gear on the machine. The shafts are all boogered up where the set screws contact. Like someone put them in so tight they dug into the metal.

Bill, it is normal for a set screw to mar the shaft when tightened. One way to avoid the deformation is to file a small flat on the shaft where the set screw makes contact.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Or an even better way to secure set screws is to drill a small oversize simple in the shaft where the set screw goes. Take a punch and stick it through the hole in the gear and then drill it out a little.