Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cutting tenons on a sliding shaper

I should add that Aigner makes a safety fence with removable, adjustable height fingers against which to ride the uncut tenon end. The same effect could be achieved with a homemade fence using an auxiliary fence face. In both cases, the fence would have to be parallel to the sliding table travel.

Further to what Kevin said above, Aigner does make a fence for this. But.. You won't be making anything thinner than a 5/16" or 3/8" thick tenon, unless you like freshly milled aluminum, he he. Also, your cutter diameter is going to need to be 7-8" to overcome the depth of the fingers+ the spacer collars+ 1/2 the spindle diameter. That being said the Aigner fence is hands down the best fence I've seen or used in terms of flexibility.

Check out this shop made Aigner style fence.

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...per_Fence.html
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

I have a shaper set up with 2 cutters, I use a home made sled, 1/4" steel plate bolted to a miter gauge, and a toggle clamp to secure the work piece. I have a Minimax J/P with a mortising attachment and I have that set up with a 1/4" bit; so I make the tennon on the shaper and mortise out the hole on my J/P. I knock the corners off the tennon with a file, (very fast, not a big deal). Everything slides together real smooth. And like Peter Quinn said, I put face down to keep any variation in thickness inside and unseen. Usually I run stuff thru my 36" Performax sander, but still...
    Last edited by Jack Wilson; 05-27-2013 at 9:16 PM.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose

Jack