Thread: CBN Wheels with the Wolverine Jig

CBN Wheels with the Wolverine Jig

I would like to know if when using the CBN Wheels with the wolverine jig do you still have to put your grinder on a platform to bring the distance from the base of the jig to the center of the wheel at 6 1/4 to 6 1/2". Seeing that you do not have to worry about the base touching the guard anymore it seems like this would not be necessary. Would love to hear what others have done regarding this.

JoAnn

I have mine mounted on a base. I believe I have a piece of wood to raise the base to the proper height. I will look tonight and take a pic.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

3. Finally, a thread I'm qualified to reply to! I also have my grinder raised slightly to get it to the proper height per Oneway's instructions. The jigs would have fit under the wheels without raising the grinder, but I didn't like that there would have been little clearance and I wanted everything set up per the instructions anyway.

Kurt

Attachment 262914

I have an 8 inch grinder with Wolverine and two CBN wheels. When I switched from an older grinder to this new one (dropped the old one in a move and bent the shaft), I still found that I needed a raised platform to allow clearance so that the rail slide would be centered on the CBN wheels.

As long as the angle at the wheel face is the angle you want, it shouldn't matter what the rise and run are.

You need the heighth so the angle of your tool is high enough. If the angle from the jig to the middle of the wheel is to low your going to have a very hard time getting your angle correct. I'd say it's a very bad move to not use the riser block.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

@Harry: At first, that was what I thought, but the more I think about it, the less I think it does matter. Of course, as the height is decresed, the length that the v-arm must be pulled out to achieve the same wheel face angle will need to be smaller as well. I guess, conceivably, you could reach a point where longer tools would simply not be able to be adjusted to sharpen at the correct angle. I think though, that for most setups, a couple of inches isn't going to make a boat-load of difference.

Like I said, in my case (with both my grinders), I needed a platform to allow the v-arm to sit centered on the wheels.

It isn't a CBN wheel issue really, it is the size of the wheel. At the same time, if you do go to CBN wheels that are wider, you will want to re-space the One Way slides.

Thank you everyone for all your answers and advice. I have spent all day trying to figure this out. I finally realized that no matter what I did it wasn't going to make any difference. My Delta bench grinder is a slow speed grinder (1800 rpm) but it is bigger then most grinders and therefore there was no way I could ever get the distance from the base to the middle of the wheel to be 6 1/2". I finally put the grinder on my work bench and realized that the lowest I could get was 7 1/4 inches to the middle of my cbn wheel or any other wheel. I have it all set up now and I love how quiet it is and my cbn wheels are fantastic.