Thread: Auction Bowl - SJPT "Friends of the Wilderness Battlefields"

Auction Bowl - SJPT "Friends of the Wilderness Battlefields"

This bowl is turned from the historical Stonewall Jackson Prayer Tree wood, in support of a fund raiser for the Friends of the Wilderness Battlefields in Winchester, Va. They are raising funds to restore a 1790's home called Ellwood Manor, which is owned by the National Park Service, and where General Stonewall Jackson's arm is buried in the family cemetery.

There are not many pieces of this wood left that are big enough for a good size bowl, with the 2 clubs having turned it for two years now. Finding a piece of this wood that is not cracked.......lets just say your odds would be better in Vegas! Our former club president called this "the most difficult wood known to woodturners"......and he has many years of turning experience!

I still have some finish work to do on it......it has a coat of Mahoney's Walnut oil on it now.....after curing for a week, I will add some WOP most likely.

It is 10.25 inches in diameter and a little over 3" tall. Comments welcome!

IMGP4021.JPGIMGP4022.JPGIMGP4025.jpg
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 08-05-2013 at 9:52 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Blog Entries
    Nice looking bowl Roger hope it does well in the auction for the fund raiser
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tilley View Post
    Nice looking bowl Roger hope it does well in the auction for the fund raiser
    Mike
    Thanks Mike......I hope so too!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!