Thread: Refinishing problem

Refinishing problem

I have a beautiful solid (?) cherry coffee table with 2 large (6") areas where the finish has been removed by water leaking from flower pots placed on the table.
    Is there a way to refinish the 2 bare areas without stripping the entire table top. If I strip the finish I'm afraid I won't be able to blend the damaged areas with the undamaged area.If I leave the original finish I'm still faced with the problem of matching the original finish on the damaged areas . Any ideas? Any help will be appreciated!

Post pictures and describe the finish that is on there currently. At a minimum, post pictures.

I suggest you repost this on the "Project Finishing" forum. The finishers hang out there
    Howie.........

refinishing problem

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Post pictures and describe the finish that is on there currently. At a minimum, post pictures.
    The original finish is lacquer with a soft sheen The damaged area still has lacquer but the finish has discolored and is now yellowish .There is also crazing in the finish in that area.
    I still haven't figured how to load pictures to the website, but I can email pictures to you if that is ok. Let me know.
    Pete Leyden (p_leyden@hotmail.com)

If the lacquer is pre-catalyzed, the following product will not work -

Blush Eraser spray

I have used it on "glass rings" left by cold drinks that had condensate on the bottom.

If the finish has been worn off, a little surface oiling is in order.

If the finish was a sprayed catalyzed lacquer, I don't know what works.

As mentioned above by the experienced hands, photos would really help.

On a side note, Sawmill Creeks' smart phone app is the easiest way to post pics. It allows you to snap a pic during the posting process as opposed to learning how to upload, download, sideload, input, output, copy, convert, import, export, or juggle files. It's free too.