Thread: Finding studs behind plaster and lath

Finding studs behind plaster and lath

Any tips on reliably finding studs in old plaster walls? I do have a stud finder (electronic). Haven't tried it yet, but I expect it will be next to worthless, yes? no? All advice appreciated. Wall mount shelf project is nearing installation phase.

The stud finder detects the difference in mass. I've used mine in my house that was built in 1900 with no problems. I do make a test drilling with a 1/16" bit just to confirm what the stud finder tells me. I have more of a problem with the old plaster being too soft and easily damaged. Be gentle when tightening down screws.

Blog Entries
    A little wizard metal detector will detect the nails holding the lath to the studs.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

First, see what you can surmise from the existing structure such as heating vents. With the grill off you can often see and poke around with a wire and figure stuff out. Electrical outlets are typically mounted on studs. With the plate off and power off, you can often learn where a stud is. Use that info and lay a tape out and given starting and ending points you can often have a good idea before you drill.

The nature of hand plastering often leaves a very slight wave pattern with crests on the studs. Try holding a flashlight against the wall in low light. Its a pretty sure bet on ceilings.

+ metal detector.

Never tried it but have read on some old house forums that a magnet works to find the lathe nails.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Thanks for all the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J Lee View Post
    First, see what you can surmise from the existing structure such as heating vents. With the grill off you can often see and poke around with a wire and figure stuff out. Electrical outlets are typically mounted on studs. With the plate off and power off, you can often learn where a stud is. Use that info and lay a tape out and given starting and ending points you can often have a good idea before you drill.

The nature of hand plastering often leaves a very slight wave pattern with crests on the studs. Try holding a flashlight against the wall in low light. Its a pretty sure bet on ceilings.
    One caveat about the tape measure idea - I owned a "old lady", and her studs spacing was - shall we say, approximate......

Some were 24 OC, but then again, 23 and 25" were entirely possible too.

Sure do miss that house - she was a lot of work, but she had features that no new house does....

Jim