Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a Sargent plane worth having?

Is a Sargent plane worth having?

Found a Sargent bench plane at an antique mall for $20 today. Was sitting right next to a trashed Stanley #5 and was the same size, so Im guessing they are equivalent though I cant recall the number on the Sargent.

Needs cleaned up. Has a thick blade that doesnt seem to fit right - when you extend it, it totally blocks the mouth. So Id have to replace it or grind it a bit shorter. Everything is there and works. Bed is rusty but seems flat.

Is this a good tool or an off brand?
    Thanks,
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 05-24-2013 at 9:11 PM.

Sargent is a well known brand but I know little of them. My impression is they are good user planes but not generally collectable.

Their bench planes are pretty decent. If you buy it, don't throw out that thick blade right away. The aftermarket blades are all thick, and people pay premium prices for them. You should be able to move the frog back, and that might be enough to open up the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Needs cleaned up. Has a thick blade that doesnt seem to fit right - when you extend it, it totally blocks the mouth. So Id have to replace it or grind it a bit shorter.
    What you probably need to do is move the frog back. Grinding the blade shorter won't help.

Edit: Sorry, Bill just got there first.

Found a Sargent bench plane at an antique mall for $20 today. Was sitting right next to a trashed Stanley #5 and was the same size, so Im guessing they are equivalent though I cant recall the number on the Sargent.

Needs cleaned up. Has a thick blade that doesnt seem to fit right - when you extend it, it totally blocks the mouth. So Id have to replace it or grind it a bit shorter. Everything is there and works. Bed is rusty but seems flat.

Is this a good tool or an off brand?
    Thanks,
    Fred
    Yes, Sargents can be quality users. Congrats on the find.

The LN skew block plane is based on a Sargent,right down to the flat topped front grip. I have one that I made upgrades for,such as a more attractive front grip. They sure like to copy designs,but improve parts.

Hey, thats neat! My first hand tool find! Thanks guys!

Yes, I plan to use it so I dont mind that it isnt collectable. I just didnt want to end up with a cheap tool that wasnt very usable even when new. I didnt even think of moving the frog (newbie) but with a thick blade thats a real possibility.

Thank you!
    Fred

Buy it quick. Most of my users are Sargent's or Miller Falls. Especially the VBM line of Sargent if you find one is well worth the money. I got started with Sargent because that is what my great grandfather had and they came down to me. Side by side with Stanley's they more than hold there own. I would not trade my Sargent 506 block plane for anything.

Fred,
    One of the first planes (other than a block plane) that I bought was a Sargent-built 18" fore plane, branded as a Craftsman. I feel that the handle, casting, and frog are very solid - just like my Millers Falls planes, but the adjuster has a lot of slack. This probably has more to do with the date of manufacture than it does with the fact it's a Sargent, as the early Sargent's were made better than the later ones from what I've read... yes the same thing is true for most hand tools, but Sargent's decline happened earlier and quicker. Having said that, even my late-model fore plane works very well after tuning, and has become my most used plane, always on my bench ready to use.
    -Pete

before:

after: (most credit must go to tablesawtom)

Love that hammer and handle!!

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Love that hammer and handle!!
    Thanks George. The cherry handle was probably made right before I bought it from Jim Bode, and the head is stamped "Brady".

Just went back and bought it! Cant wait to clean it up. Peter, Im going to try and make it look like yours. Also, oddly enough I made a mallet exactly like the one in your last pic. I had to do a double take when I noticed that.

On my way to the antique store I stopped at an estate sale and picked up a newer stanley for $20. Looks like a #4. Got to measure it and see. I passed on a mint Stanley router plane at the antique store for $295. Im not collecting, so I could spend less buying a Veritas for a user.

Wow, this stuff is becoming addictive, even buying users. Now if I can just find #7 and a #93, I can stop. I hope.

Fred

Mint router plane doesn't cost that much either, so you are wise to pass it up. Decent user Stanley router plane can be had in the $30 range, so if you need one, look around in that price range.

Just be careful with what you buy. There are a lot of planes out there are that just made like crap that no amount of tuning will improve it. Don't rush to buy them, take your time, learn about planes before venture out to purchase more.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Takeuchi View Post
    Mint router plane doesn't cost that much either, so you are wise to pass it up. Decent user Stanley router plane can be had in the $30 range, so if you need one, look around in that price range.

Just be careful with what you buy. There are a lot of planes out there are that just made like crap that no amount of tuning will improve it. Don't rush to buy them, take your time, learn about planes before venture out to purchase more.
    +1, wise counsel!!!!

Now if I can just find #7 and a #93, I can stop. I hope.

Fred
    Now that's funny!