Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Box Elder Bowl-O-form

Box Elder Bowl-O-form

This is from a "lump" on the side of a box elder tree. Not really a burl although it has a little burl like figure in it. When I put this on the lathe and started shaping it round my intent was a natural edged bowl. Then as I started hogging out the bowl I was seeing a little more figure than I expected so I did one of those midstream changes in design with no real idea what I was doing. Probably would have been better as a bowl than whatever it is now, but it's different. Kind of a cross between a bowl and a hollowform. Then just to add to the mixed up design I put an elevated foot on it. So it's really a mumbo jumbo sort of thing now. Anyway, it's 9" x 6" and it is what it is.

Box Elder lump hollow bowl 1.jpgBox Elder lump hollow bowl 2.jpgBox Elder lump hollow bowl 3.jpg

Hey Curt, mumbo jumbo works. It looks pretty good....... Jerry (in Tucson)

Not better as a bowl, Curt. Better as what you made. It is a unique piece and a terrific piece of wood. How tight a line were you able to make at the transition. That had to be a spot prone to a catch since you were likely to touch both faces of the form together?
    Faust

4. Curt, it may be a mumbo jumbo, but man that's a nice turning, very attractive and different, a real eyecatcher and I love the box elder figure.

I really like the result of your design changes. Very nice piece.

Very nice wood and a beautiful something. The form is the kind of thing that should make a kid (of any age) wonder, "What's inside?"
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

very nice Curt, without the design change you probably would have lost the figure/burl to shavings
    the more i turn boxelder the more i like stuff close to bark, miss a lot of red but its going to fade anyway, nice piece

Curt,

Very nice. I am thinking of starting to do hollowforms. What system or tools are you using? They sure seem to be working for you.
    Paul Singer
    Jet 1642EVS 2hp

It's sweet. Like a hollow form rising up out of the bowl. Even the foot works.
    David DeCristoforo

Very nice I really like BE in any form.The guy that turns with me did one like this but only about 3" high, this has a totally different look with it being taller.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Really like the whole piece. Very good job of bringing out the beautiful qualities of the wood. The natural edge looks awesome, and once over the rim the hollow form just tops it off. Thanks for the great piece and the sharing.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Singer View Post
    Curt,

Very nice. I am thinking of starting to do hollowforms. What system or tools are you using? They sure seem to be working for you.
    Paul, there are so many different hollowing systems available now that it would be really confusing to pick one. But a good friend (and Creeker), Ernie Nyvall made mine. It's a basic Lyle Jamison style D bar and captured secondary tool rest. I've played around with different shaped boring bars, different type cutters. For me, the simple seems to work best. I had a Sorby swan neck hand held hollowing tool which can be a very hard tool to control. I hated it so I removed the handle and made a sleeve adapter so the 3/4" receiver on my D bar will hold it. (the Sorby tool has a 5/8" shaft). As a captured tool it works great. With that I can use a 1/4" half round cutter that seems to be about the right size for removing wood but not getting too aggressive. And it will also hold round or teardrop scrapers for finishing cuts inside a form. If I had to buy one today, I think that without knowing anything else but all the good reviews I've read I would go with one of the Monster systems. Everyone seems to like those but they're substantially more money than a home made tool.

Curt, thanks for the info. I went the Jamison site and he has a very informational site. I really like the fact that he gives you advice on building your own and will sell any part or piece you don't want to make yourself.

Thanks again
    Paul Singer
    Jet 1642EVS 2hp

Mumbo Jumbo is really great in this case. Much better than just a bowl. I have to say I am not a huge fan of the shape of the foot, but I really love the overall form.

Hollow Form or Bowl, it works for me. It's a interesting and unique piece, that is certainly going to please.