Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 inch table saw blades

12 inch table saw blades

I am looking for 12" diameter 5/8" arbor table saw blades for the Minimax combo machine I just bought. Previously I had been using 10" Forrest and Freud blades on my Unisaw. In particular liked the Freud Fusion (very similar to Forrest Woodworker II) as it gave me the same results as Forrest at a lower price. I did some quick research and did not come up with good 12" alternatives.

I noticed a lot of the 12" saw blades have 1" arbor. Is using a bushing to take it down to 5/8" a good idea or should I stick with 5/8" arbor? Of course I prefer 5/8" arbor but selection seems to be very limited at that arbor size.

Would like to hear from other folks here who have experience with 12" blade options.
    Last edited by Frank Martin; 05-25-2013 at 3:14 PM.

I've had great success with a Tenryu gold metal 12" blade on my MM CU410 with a bushing for years.
    --Mike Roberts

Good to know bushing is not an issue. Definitely opens up more choices.

Any other suggestions besides Tenryu?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post
    I've had great success with a Tenryu gold metal 12" blade on my MM CU410 with a bushing for years.

I like the Amana A.G.E blades. IMO, they're a great value.

Another happy Tenryu fan here. Made in the U.S. too!

Michael,

Do you just use the combo blade or do you also use dedicated crosscut / rip blades on your combo machine?

On my Unisaw, I did not see any advantage to dedicated planes over the Forrest WWII, or Freud Fusion, so I am hesitant in investing in more blades. This is hobby for me so volume of cuts are very limited. May be dedicated rip blades offer the advantage of speed, but that is not relevant for me. All I care is the quality of cut. Forrest did not leave desire for better quality at all, including crosscuts and plywood. I had the blade and the fence dialed in near perfect (less than 0.001) so I am sure that contributed to the quality of cut, which I do the same on my new machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post

I use the 60 tooth Gold Metal Combo blade for everything from sheet goods to 8/4 hardwood. I'm not a big fan of blade changes on that saw, so the Tenryu is on there 100% of the time. It only comes off when I send it out for sharpening and then I put it's twin on. I use the saw almost daily in a one-man pro shop.

-Mike
    --Mike Roberts

Michael,

Sounds great. If you are satisfied as a pro, I am sure I will be too.

Does Tenryu offer a bushing or did you get if from somewhere else?
    I see Freud sells a bushing but want to make sure it is a perfect fit with no slop.

I've been very happy with Forrest and CMT for my 12" blades on my compound miter saw. In a pinch, I used them on my 10" table saw once to get a larger cutting height.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

check out Ridge Carbide. I was in the same situation with my 12" RAS. They can make pretty much any blade you want with any arbor you spec if you are willing to wait a few extra days for a special order. I have 3 of their blades - 10" rip & plywood for the TS and 12" neg hook fine finish for the RAS - all 3 are better than any other blade I have tried.

A few years ago I ordered a Ridge Carbide 12" blade for a 5/8" arbor and it showed up with a bushing welded into the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Martin View Post
    I see Freud sells a bushing but want to make sure it is a perfect fit with no slop.
    Frank, you will be fine with either Freud or Amana bushings. I have even used some cheapo ones from Harbor Freight and not had an issue (surprisingly). Almost every table saw I sell ships out with a 12" blade and a bushing and we never really get a complaint about that setup. Neither pro nor hobbyist. Hope this helps,

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

My Mini Max is a 1" arbor, but some of my chop saws use bushings with no ill effects.

I use a lot of FS Tool blades. I have one FS rip blade that is as perfect as I have ever owned. I like Tenryu as well. Freud "industrial" blades are not too bad and easier to find if in a pinch. The Freud blades made for the box stores like the Diablo are not worth taking home in my opinion.

Larry
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 05-28-2013 at 7:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Martin View Post
    Michael,

Sounds great. If you are satisfied as a pro, I am sure I will be too.

Does Tenryu offer a bushing or did you get if from somewhere else?
    I called Tenryu and asked for one and they sent it to me free of charge
    --Mike Roberts

I use 12" blades on my Laguna Pro sliding saw with a 5/8" arbor. Just use the spacers for the blades with 1" bores and happy sawing. I keep a spare spacer on hand just in case one grows legs and walks away.