Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new toys from Japan

new toys from Japan

From Stu at toolsfromjapan.com. Atoma 400 diamond plate, inexpensive mortice gauge, Koyamaichi chisels and a hammer. Replaced the wing-nut on the mortice gauge with a M6 epoxied into a scrap of cherry. Much more comfortable to use. Stripped the lacquer finish from the hammer and chisels and set the hoops.

I wish I had gotten a diamond plate years ago to flatten my water stones. I had gone from sandpaper then to drywall screen on a ceramic tile. What a huge improvement both in flatness and time saved with with the diamond plate.

Now I need more freehand sharpening practice as the chisels don't fit in my eclipse type jig.

P1130214.JPGP1130221.JPG

Nice! I've got some toys from Stu that should be arriving next week. He should rename his store Toys From Japan
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

You'll love the chisels. Be gentle with the sharpening, you don't want to waste them.

They are the best of the inexpensive chisels that I've used so far.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    You'll love the chisels. Be gentle with the sharpening, you don't want to waste them.

They are the best of the inexpensive chisels that I've used so far.
    Inexpensive? Granted, not as expensive as Tasai and the like, but $60-90 per is not inexpensive. What's the most you've ever paid for a chisel, David?

Good haul Paul .. Nice looking stuff .. How do you like the hammer ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Curtis View Post
    Inexpensive? Granted, not as expensive as Tasai and the like, but $60-90 per is not inexpensive. What's the most you've ever paid for a chisel, David?
    They are $47-$60 for chisels 3 to 24mm.

And more than $60 would answer the second question.$47 to $60 is pretty inexpensive for very very good japanese chisels.

Rick, I haven't used it enough to know. My left thumb still likes it. I'm used to using my shop made wooden mallet so it will take a little getting used to. When I pick up the mallet I know what way the head is facing without looking, not so with the hammer. And I guess you are supposed to hit the chisel with the concave face. I may have to contour the handle a bit. I saw a post somewhere about that, maybe Wilbur's blog. The hammer I got is a generic one, nothing fancy, octagonal or made by an individual craftsman.

They are $47-$60 for chisels 3 to 24mm.

And more than $60 would answer the second question.$47 to $60 is pretty inexpensive for very very good japanese chisels.
    Well, I've paid 5 times that; and while I love those expensive chisels, I don't think there's five times the performance there. Also, I'm guessing that $47 is the latest price, right? Last I looked it was more, but it's not a big deal. I consider $10 or $20 inexpensive. It's all relative, of course; but still, no reason to try to make the op feel bad.

And how about that set of 10 Ichihiro for $9800? That's $980 per.
    Last edited by Jack Curtis; 05-26-2013 at 12:53 AM.

Jack, please don't stir the pot here. The description is perfectly accurate. I know there was no ill will intended at all.

"It's all relative, of course; but still, no reason to try to make the op feel bad."

It was to make the OP feel good. My user bench chisels were $60 per. My koyamaichi dovetail chisels were bought at $50 per about 7 years ago. I think they are GREAT chisels and if my discount bench chisels somehow went dud, the koyamaichi are what I would buy to replace them.

When stu said he was meeting KI long ago, I begged him to carry them. They are the best chisels I know of when you compare price to performance and I don't know of any measure more relevant.

Jack, you read it exactly wrong.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 05-26-2013 at 8:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Saffold View Post
    Rick, I haven't used it enough to know. My left thumb still likes it. I'm used to using my shop made wooden mallet so it will take a little getting used to. When I pick up the mallet I know what way the head is facing without looking, not so with the hammer. And I guess you are supposed to hit the chisel with the concave face. I may have to contour the handle a bit. I saw a post somewhere about that, maybe Wilbur's blog. The hammer I got is a generic one, nothing fancy, octagonal or made by an individual craftsman.
    Your hammer should have a flat face and a convex face. You're supposed to hit the chisel with the flat face. The convex side is for driving the head of a nail flush with the surface of the wood without marring the wood.

Sometimes there's a maker's mark on the underside of the hammer head, which is usually on the side of the flat face. That's one way of figuring out which face is which without having to remake a new handle. I've heard David Charlesworth marked the handle of the hammer with an arrow pointing to the flat face, which is another option.

Having said all that, I really like the curved handle on my hammer the more that I use it.

Thanks for chiming in Wilbur. After my post about the hammer last night I went to your blog and found the post you just linked to. It's on my to do list.
    Paul

It was to make the OP feel good. My user bench chisels were $60 per. My koyamaichi dovetail chisels were bought at $50 per about 7 years ago. I think they are GREAT chisels and if my discount bench chisels somehow went dud, the koyamaichi are what I would buy to replace them.

When stu said he was meeting KI long ago, I begged him to carry them. They are the best chisels I know of when you compare price to performance and I don't know of any measure more relevant.

Jack, you read it exactly wrong.
    Well, good, much more positive. I think Paul got a great deal, too. He should be very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur Pan View Post
    ...I really like the curved handle on my hammer the more that I use it.
    Great post. How close to lining up with the flat face does the curved part of the handle bottom come?
    Last edited by Jack Curtis; 05-26-2013 at 4:04 PM.

In addition to shaping a curve to the handle, I added a few thumb notches on the back side (away from the flat face). I do not always position my hand in the same place for striking the chisels but the notches are in the "normal" resting place of my thumb and is a very natural no look way of insuring that I am striking with the correct surface.

P5260082.jpg P5260080.jpg
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge