Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Now THIS is woodworking!

Takesha,

Thank you for sharing your work with us. It is beautiful. And welcome to the creek!

Peter

I really enjoyed it. I have saved the site and will review it again. I especially liked the joints and may have to sample some of those at a point.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Quote Originally Posted by Takeshi Uchida
    Hi creekers. Thank you for many compliments for my shoe cabinet.

I'm glad to know some of Western woodworkers like simple design. I was afraid if the simplicity may give somewhere shabby impression.
    I like hand tools as I know I'm not good at operating power tools. and It's too powerful for me . and I cannot have enough time to understand and talk with wood. I'm a hobby woodworker and I like and enjoy the time with wood.

BTW, this forum is really great. Livery, earnet and instructive. I added this site to favorite in my browser.
    Welcome to the Creek, Takeshi-san. I must say that I really enjoyed browsing your site. You capture what is, to me, the essence of working with wood - understanding and appreciating the wood and where it comes from, and transforming it from something of natural beauty to something of a different kind of natural beauty.

I hope you visit often, as I think many of us can learn a lot from you and your joinery techniques. I know that I certainly intend to study the information on your website!

BTW, you might also want to visit the Neanderthal Haven - it's where we talk about woodworking with hand tools.

Erin
    For all your days prepare and treat them ever alike. When you are the anvil, bear; When you are the hammer, strike.

Quote Originally Posted by Takeshi Uchida
    Sorry, I don't know English name of this side frame joinery.Inside of frames were not routed yet....

If I'm seeing it correctly, and the front rail faces are mitered at the tenon shoulder on both sides...

...then the joint is a "bridled mortise and tenon."

If your tenon shoulder end grain is just mitered on the front face of the door, then it's a "half-bridled mortise and tenon." Your mitered bridle serves the same structural function as a western tenon haunch but is more attractive.

If you wedge or pin those tenons, then the name of the joint can quickly become a mouthful, depending on how you do it.

I'd probably just call it a "bridled mortise and tenon" and leave it at that.

Nice work.
    Last edited by Bob Smalser; 05-25-2005 at 11:09 PM.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Takeshi, I would also like to welcome you to The Creek. Please visit us often...we all like to share and learn from each other. Your woodworking is excellent. Much of the beauty in your work comes from its simplicity. Simple does not mean shabby at all, especially when it is so well-crafted.

I'm looking forward to studying your website more. I'm sure many of us will be adding your website to our favorites, too.

- Vaughn

Absolutely beautiful cabinet Takeshi! I have only one concern, and since I am far from being an expert, maybe other here can help explain.

Wouldn't the wood movement cause problems with the mitered corners of the cabinet top?

John L.

Konnichiwa Takeshi-san,

"Migoto ni dekibae!" which should translate into 'beautifully done workmanship'. (I am trying to teach myself Japanese to compliment my jodo training).

Arigato gozaimasu!

Steve Kubien
    Ajax, Ontario
    Last edited by Steve Kubien; 05-27-2005 at 2:33 PM. Reason: spelling error. Sensei would kill me!!!!

Hi John
    I was anxious about the problem too.
    If I intended to sell or present, I didn't assemble the top like that.
    It was a trial to control warp and shrink.
    I pressed the top boads firmly with clump for weeks.
    and lock the horizontal lumbers (both end was frame with tenon) with side frame (frame with motise)
    so the outside of tenon was tight and inside was
    rather loose.

When assemble joinery, most of woodworkers strike tenon with hammer
    to press the fiber. I did same with clump for the top.

I checked the shoe cabinet today. It has no problem and no gap.
    I felt the end of tenon when I stroked the side of the top board, the frame was shrinked slightly)
    In another project(Cup board, made with castor aralia ), I applied almost same pattern for the top.
    (tenon is hidden in this project)
    Castor aralia is light and soft wood and shrinks and warps badly so I used thick (1 1/6") lumber for the top,
    almost same thickness as the wood had been dried for years.
    (Refer to attached pics. please)

Hi Vaughn
    and sorry. I don't remember but I heard I kicked you many time, and soryy again ,
    I don't want but I will kick you in the future too.

Hi Bob
    Thank you very much. Woodworking terms are few in dictionery and your advice helps me
    for talking on woodworing with foreign woodworkers.
    'mouthful' is good expression for joinery with wedge.

Hi Erin-san, it took few minutes to make out what Neanderthal means. and I had good laugh.
    Sure, I'm a Neanderthal.So I have to visit Neanderthal Haven with chisel and hand plane...and stone axe?
    I appreciate your comment 'transforming it from something of natural beauty to something of a different kind of natural beauty'.
    very much. Your comment is just what I want to make.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool site! Thanks for sharing that...