Thread: Extending Timber Posts

Extending Timber Posts

Hi
    I am going to be building a 12x24 barn along an existing 5' fence. I have 4x4 posts set in the ground that are 5' high, I need these to be 8' for the barn. I only need 3 of the posts to be raised in height. So does anyone have any ideas for me to utilize the posts that are already there? Thanks

Put a 4x4 on top of the existing one. Put splints across the joint --- 4'-tall 2x4s on all four sides -- and through-bolt them in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Put a 4x4 on top of the existing one. Put splints across the joint --- 4'-tall 2x4s on all four sides -- and through-bolt them in place.

I was thinking the same thing except 2x4's on two sides, 2x6 on the other two sides to create a 6x6 post, you can nail the over Hanson the 2x6 to the edge of the 2x4 for a little more shear strength You could also drop some Simpson mending plates behind the 2x,s to really kill it.

I think you need a 2x8 that makes it a 8x8. A 2x4 on each side of 4x4 makes it 8" wide. A 2x8 on the other two sides makes it an 8x8.

Curt

Forget the 2x4s and use 2x6s. Rip 1/2" off one edge with a skilsaw, stack the posts and wrap them. Nail with galv. Nails and you're done.

We use that technique all the time to extend deck posts when we can't get 6x6s long enough, makes a great 8x8.

HTH,
    Bill

Thanks for all the great ideas. Sounds like wrapping them is the way to go. I really appreciate all the quick replies.

Got any footers under the posts?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Ewell View Post
    Got any footers under the posts?
    I wouldn't trust an un-footered fence post for a barn.

I've half-lapped and glued in situations like this, with a couple of carriage bolts through the whole joint.

Look up some Japanese timber framing joints. They have some very interesting splice joints for this application.