Thread: Turn in Peace, Dale

Turn in Peace, Dale

It has been reported that Dale Nish passed away last night. I met Dale several times and he will be greatly missed.

2. I almost went up to Dale at the Super Wednesday event a couple weeks ago at Craft Supplies, to show him some project photos, but I waited too long and missed my chance. Sigh....

Thanks for everything Dale!

I did a search with Dale Nish name and his wife pass away during 9 2011,
    the web site list a great number of woodworkers that have pass away recent

sorry to hear this, RIP

He will be missed. R.I.P. Dale.
    I was able to attend one session with him at the NC symposium, I believe. His column was a great resource.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

As a beginning turner, I first met Dale at an all day woodturning demonstration at Redmond and Sons in Atlanta around 2005. He and Nick Cook were performing their usual humorous joust between the skew chisel and scraper. At one of the breaks, I asked Dale if he would sign my copy of "Creative Woodturning"(copyright 1975 - compleat with old techniques). He, with his wry humor, made some comment wondering where I dug up "that old thing" by "that guy", but signed it "To Jim, fellow woodturner, Best Regards, Dale L Nish." I was gratified and happy. I still have that copy, perused many a time, sitting by me as I write this. Since that time, I attended several of Dale's demonstrations, each time impressed by his patience, his humor, and his evident passion to impart knowledge and love of turning to his audience.
    We will miss you Dale. Thank you for all you've done for us.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

I never had the pleasure of meeting Dale - or attending one of his demos - but it is obvious - he has left his mark on the world of woodturning! He will be missed!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I had the privilege of taking a Craft Supplies 5-day turning class from Dale several years ago. Aside from being a great instructor, he was patient, kind, warm and thoughtful. After class one evening, he invited the entire group to his home for cookies and punch. His home was like a woodturning museum with works of art from hundreds of accomplished turners from around the world. I'm thankful I had the opportunity to learn from him and offer my sincere condolences to the Nish family.

Dale Nish, one of the world’s most influential woodturners, teachers and writers, died yesterday in Provo, Utah.
    Nish taught woodworking at Brigham Young University for 28 years, until his retirement in 1995. He’s the author of several landmark books on turning including “Creative Woodturning” and “Artistic Woodturning,” and of many magazine articles and columns. In 1979, he was a founding member of the Utah Woodworking Symposium, which he directed for 19 years.
    His signature work involved turning bowls from flawed wood, particularly wormy ash.

Below, to help celebrate his contribution to the craft, download step-by-step instruction from Nish on turning decorative birdhouse ornaments, an article he wrote for our December 2004 issue.

From Popular Woodworking website
    Wes

"Never believe everything you think"

I meet Dale at a mini-symposium that Buckeye Woodturner had in 2002 in Hudson Ohio. I also won one of Dale's pieces which is the heart of my small collection.
    R.I.P. You will be missed.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

R.I.P Dale. I never had the pleasure of meeting him but did e-mail him a couple of times with question in which he responded right back. He will be missed.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

For those of you who don't go back that far, Dale Nish changed wood turning when he wrote two books for which he was well known. I believe the first was called Creative WoodTurning but the second book, Artistic Woodturning, created a whole new plateau for wood turners. Sorry he is gone but really glad he spent a life in woodworking.
    faust

Dale was a phenomenal man and turner who I was very fortunate to meet a few years ago. Sat in on 2 of his demos and chatted some when he signed some books for me. He is the defintion of a turning icon and will be greatly missed and well remembered. My sympathies and condolences to his family and friends.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!