Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: WSJ article re depth of upper kitchen cabs.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Rayburn View Post
    Martha Stewart just called to tell me she hates you.
    The reality is, she probably would not like me very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    With our dog, anything at that level would be prone to accumulating dog hair. I don't know how he does it, he seems to be able to control the blowing of his coat into a directional thing.

Without dog, it would be awesome.
    Yeah, we are without dog. My wife is anti-dirt, period. So sometimes she's anti husband. But we will definitely not ever have any pets as long as I'm married. It's in her genes.

the premise of the article runs directly counter to what I'm seeing in the latest homes. There's a distinct trend to move away from upper cabinets entirely and have a walk-in style pantry directly adjacent to the kitchen.

Don't much care either way, since there's work to be had for built-in pantry cabinetry or work to be had buildign wider kitchen tables for these allegedly popular big dinner plates.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Shaefer View Post
    the premise of the article runs directly counter to what I'm seeing in the latest homes. There's a distinct trend to move away from upper cabinets entirely and have a walk-in style pantry directly adjacent to the kitchen.

Don't much care either way, since there's work to be had for built-in pantry cabinetry or work to be had buildign wider kitchen tables for these allegedly popular big dinner plates.

Huh,.. This would be effective in large open area kitchens with little wall space, large islands, and so on. We are building cabs for such a kitchen right now. The kitchen incorporates an 8'x8' pantry directly off the kitchen with only about <20' for uppers (9 uppers total). But there would still be a need for uppers above all wall bases no?

I personally have no quams with whatever depth uppers anyone see's the need for in their own kitchen. A 14" upper however makes no sense to me in that I am generally trying to maximize sheet stock so 12" or 16" finished would make the most sense.

My feeling is exactly as has been said, fad or not I will take the money to build the kitchen the customer wants. I will of course give my input but if they want it so be it. So much depends on the space the cabs are going in, style of cabinet, scale of the kitchen, and so on. In a small tight kitchen, increased depth uppers would close the space, large open kitchen, of course, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Shaefer View Post
    Now that I believe (because I've seen it happening, too), and I can get behind it, too. Kitchens w/o uppers are pretty awesome. And nothing beats a pantry for oodles of storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    What percentage of prospects ask for deeper cabinets without any prompting from you?
    What percentage of people would travel to Egypt to see the pyramids if they didn't know there were pyramids in Egypt?

FWIW -

1) My resident gourmet chef has a variety of dishes. Some definitely require deeper-than-standard cabinets. Which is why they sit on free-standing stainless steel restaurant racks against one wall.
    2) WSJ? They are not reporting on dining habits in Springfield, IL. Youse guys often go to big-city upscale restaurants? Take your tape measures when you do.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I build kitchens but on top of a few home renos every year. Will only do three kitchens this year. One thing to consider is your local building code if building for customers. Living in Ontario we are required to have 18 inches of clearance from the nearest flammable surface above the stove. This 18 inches extends 16 inches to either side of the stove Most in my area have a 2 in valance to cover the lighting attached to the bottom of the uppers so that with a 2 in valance you need to have the uppers 20 inches above the base cabinets unless you want to end the valance 16 inches from the stove which would look kind of ridiculous. I have found that most people know very little about cabinets other than that is where they put their dishes and food products. By taking the time to explain the other possibilities re depths,pull outs and the numerous other options that are available people are appreciative. From a business point of view they are also willing to pay more which makes me happy and it gives them bragging rights with their friends. Brian